Back surgery 40lbs gained

Options
4loveofnails
4loveofnails Posts: 1
edited February 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I had a Lamenicotomy L5/S1 June 17, 2014, I have gained 40lbs went from a size 4 to a size 12.
My surgery results haven't been great. I have not been able to do much. The pain from just doing dishes is awful. Though the pain I had prior to surgery is gone.
So, any advise on what type of workouts I could try would be great. My Neurosurgeon did my surgery seen me twice and basically whipped his hands of me. No therapy no recommendations....I DO NOT take meds. I am seeing this is a normal operation of most doctors after back surgery.

Replies

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm no medical expert, although I'm convinced I could pass myself off as a doctor if I just had appalling hand writing and just wrote out prescriptions for medication all day. But anyway, unless there's some sort of medical reason why you're gaining weight - then I can only say your lack of mobility means you need to adjust how much you're eating so you aren't taking in more energy than you're using. You need to get that right first as that sort of weight gain indicates a serious difference between the two that no workout routine will ever overcome. I doubt anyone here can responsibly give you any exercise to do given the seriousness of your situation. And it sounds like you're still recovering from what is a huge shock to your body.
  • ames1586
    ames1586 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I had a double lamonactomy ang 2014. Everything felt hurt and was really tight and uncomfortable for months. All I was able to do for 6 months was walk. Now I am finally able to workout again. When you start working out again remember to modify all the pilaties moves. Reinjury isn't worth it. It WILL get easier!