Online petition wants IOC to revoke Jenner's gold medal

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/online-petition-wants-ioc-to-revoke-jenners-gold-medal/ar-BBkFJDg?ocid=answonderwall11

Here is the petition in full:

Dear International Olympic Committee,

It has recently come to light that gold medalist Bruce Jenner is in fact transgender, and therefore, identifies as a woman. We congratulate Ms. Jenner on these new developments and wish her the best. However, this creates somewhat of a problem as Ms. Jenner (as talented as she is) claims that she has always believed herself to be truly female, and therefore, was in violation of committee rules regarding women competing in men's sports and vice versa. Therefore, it is with a heavy heart that we must ask whether or not it is proper that Ms. Jenner should retain her olympic records in light of this, as we must now either claim that Bruce Jenner and Caitlyn Jenner are two entirely different people (which we know is not true), or that Bruce Jenner was, in fact, a woman participating in a men's event. It is only fair to all involved that women receive their credit as champions of the Decathalon [sic] and that the men racing Ms. Jenner are not expected to compete with a superior, streamlined being such as herself.

We urge Ms. Jenner to support the transgender community by giving up the medals earned by competing against the wrong gender.

Thank you, and congratulations to Ms. Jenner for her courage!

What kind of idiot petition is that? Leave Jenner alone for crying out loud.

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    That is just stupid.
  • vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    That has to be the most idiotic thing I've ever read. My head hurts now.
  • mang9785
    mang9785 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Very Silly lol
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Are you freaking kidding me?
  • cdlee10
    cdlee10 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    so stupid. i'm done with the internet today
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    So, going by this logic, if I feel as though I should have been born a man and believe myself to have always been a man, then I should be able to compete in men's competitions and earn medals under the assumption that I will surgically become a man later on in my life.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Very silly - I think I'm correct in assuming the men's decathlon events have faster times, and longer/higher distances than the women's heptathlon events.

Why would taking a medal away make sense? He won it fair and square.
  • rikracer1961
    rikracer1961 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    who f___in' CARES!!!
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    At the time, no matter how she feels about it now, she was competing as a male, was male through biology, verified as a male, and it matters not what her perspective is of what she felt like she was back when she was male competing in the Olympics. She competed as a fully qualified male at the time and that cannot be disputed.

The petition is baseless on purely logical grounds.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    They tried to take my medal for Individual Synchronized Swimming... (Glee)...lol
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The petition is baseless on purely logical grounds.

It's pretty clearly a troll job/joke that's gathered momentum online.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    people are dumb.
  • vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    MilicaX wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Very silly - I think I'm correct in assuming the men's decathlon events have faster times, and longer distances than the women's heptathlon events.

It's SHE.

Actually at the time "he" did win it fair and square. Time reference I think is actually an important concept/argument in this situation. What the main problem within the framework of the petition is, it's based on the fact of a mental issue vs a physical issue. Bruce Jenner may have mentally been a female, but testosterone levels, body parts, etc all were a presentation of male. Being that both male and female anatomy were not present, Bruce competed in the male events. The only case against that would be if someone was a hermaphrodite (which there were actual cases where said person was not allowed to compete at all). So the terminology for this particular scenario is right as "he".

The women's heptathlon not only has fewer events obviously but the times are actually modified as a much further reduction to that of what the men's times, distances, etc because it was originally assumed that women could not compete in events like that as well as the men could.

Let's also keep in mind, that Bruce did take hormones on and off for years (I'm using "Bruce" due to the time period we're talking about). IF he was on any kind of testosterone blocker at the time of his Olympic competition, it would have put him at a disadvantage to the other competitors due to lower testosterone levels. That, in itself, makes the accomplishment that much more impressive.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    At the time, she was still presenting as a male, so this petition is ridiculous. The male-presenting Bruce Jenner of the past couldn't see into the future and know that one day he would actually transition to a she. Can't believe so many people have signed it. Leave it alone! Don't these idiots have more important things to worry about?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MilicaX wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Very silly - I think I'm correct in assuming the men's decathlon events have faster times, and longer distances than the women's heptathlon events.

It's SHE.

A legal MALE named Bruce Jenner won the decathlon medal. The Olympic committee does "sex tests." What she has become is not relevant.....decades later.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Funny how they forget precedent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_Semenya

History is not on the side of hate.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous.
  • CarynCharB
    CarynCharB Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Some people just suck
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I think the petition is about people wanting their argument to work both ways -

Bruce says he's a woman and therefore the world should recognize female "Caitlyn." Yet, he still has a penis. And does not have a vagina. "Caitlyn" is physiologically and genetically a male. And apparently heterosexual male at that. BUT, because he considers himself emotionally/mentally a woman, he wants to be recognized as such, regardless of his physiological and genetic maleness.

Thus the petition - it is calling to task the logic of his position, probably meant as sarcasm.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous.