Struggling with carbs intake

Options
Peeps

I am staying within my daily limit...but tend to be way over my carb limit! Heeellllppppp

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition that would dictate you eat fewer carbs? If not, and you're within your calorie limit, why do you need help?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with being over your carbs if you're still within your calories. That being said, fats and protein will help keep you satiated for longer, so it's best to focus on hitting the goals for them.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein and fat....

Start planning your meals with these two macros and then add carbs.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs, like sugar, are a no nutrient food. You can start my limiting this dramatically. If you need a tiny treat and do not go over with it, then that would be ok. Can't see your diary.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Calories first bud. After that, work on getting your macros close to your goal. What are your calorie and macro goals? There's nothing wrong with eating a good amount of carbs, if you are eating within your body's ability to burn through them in a day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Look at it as a replacement game. If you are over in carbs, include more protein and fat in your meal choices throughout the day. By end of day you want to hit your calorie target, and it's too late to "compensate" if you are over or under on a particular macro.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Simple carbs, like sugar, are a no nutrient food. You can start my limiting this dramatically. If you need a tiny treat and do not go over with it, then that would be ok. Can't see your diary.

No nutrient food food. That's false. You do realize there are fruit that are a simple carb? White bread is also a complex carb? You are making statements purely to create good and bad food categories.

I think the intent was to say limit food with added sugar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein and fat....

Start planning your meals with these two macros and then add carbs.

Yes, when I do this I stay fuller longer and want less carbs. I'm in a positive cycle of not craving and eating carbs.

OP - if you open up your diary we can take a look and make suggestions.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

No nutrient food food. That's false. You do realize there are fruit that are a simple carb? White bread is also a complex carb? You are making statements purely to create good and bad food categories.

I think the intent was to say limit food with added sugar.
    Which food shouldn't you limit?

• lehcarenna
    lehcarenna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My carbs are always higher than goal percentage. But I personally think that if you are careful about what KIND of carb it is, then being over is okay. I am staying away from most breads, pasta, rice, and almost all sugar. So the carbs are mostly vegetables and stuff.
  • deltayork
    deltayork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am a carb lover! Bread, rice, potatoes..yum! I started the "21 day fix" which helps balance calories and portions of meat, protein, veggies, fruit and fats. They provide color-coded containers and you eat a certain number of each container per day. I'm on the 1500-1800 plan which allows for 3 yellows (1/2 cup each) of whole grain carbs per day. I do go over my 3 occasionally, but I am eating far fewer carbs and more fruits, protein and veggies than ever.
  • Harlequin1983
    Harlequin1983 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try changing to complex carbs (better carbs) like brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, oatmeal. They will digest slower into your system so your body is given time to use them instead of storing them!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition that would dictate you eat fewer carbs? If not, and you're within your calorie limit, why do you need help?

This is the question that needs answered.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a way to wash a person's brain completely of all the nonsense about weight loss. As long as you're within your calorie limit (i.e. in a deficit) you'll lose the weight. Stop worrying about carbs or whatever unless you have some sort of medical need to focus on that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight. However, without sufficient protein and fiber, satiety will be harder to achieve, and thus sticking to that deficit can be difficult and/or unpleasant.

http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

...Satiety is the feeling of fullness after eating that suppresses the urge to eat for a period of time after a meal. Such feelings of fullness can play an important role in controlling how much we eat. If we feel really full or ‘satiated’ after a meal then we are likely to go much longer before we feel hungry and may eat less at the next meal. But, if we do not feel very full then we are likely to get hungry again more quickly and may be tempted to snack or eat more at the next meal. So, if we can understand how to enhance these feelings of fullness or ‘satiety’, this may help to control how much we eat.

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    • Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    • If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    • Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    • Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    • The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The advice to go low fat is wrong-headed. Satiety is not always about volume.
  • Jiveli85
    Jiveli85 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    OP I'm in the same boat. I eat at least 200 carbs per day and my goal is 150. I'm still losing though.