Walking shoes??

Options
Can you please tell me what you think the best shoes are for walking/hiking outdoors?? I don't need super expensive ones, just something that will give me the support I need :) THANKS!!

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Your best bet is to go to a running shop, tell them that you're planning on walking and have them look at how you walk.
    You may pronate or you may not. They'll be able to tell you.

Plus what works for me, probably won't work for you.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Can you please tell me what you think the best shoes are for walking/hiking outdoors?? I don't need super expensive ones, just something that will give me the support I need :) THANKS!!

The shoes you own. Special equipment isn't required, shoes aren't even required.

If you have a particular ache or ailment, that might change my advice.
  • lauren28178
    lauren28178 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I love, love,love my Skecher's memory foam 'Sport' walking shoes. Their Go Walk style is super popular too.
  • ElPasoMark
    ElPasoMark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of New Balance walking shoes that I really like. Have just about (Literally) worn them out.
  • deltayork
    deltayork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I second what lishie said. I didn't realize i was an over-pronater until going to feet fleet and being properly fitted. I also love New Balance stores, they have a machine that you step on and it tells you where most of the weight/pressure is on your feet and recommends shoes/inserts based on that.
  • kscarf1
    kscarf1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started taking daily walks (15 minutes) with just any old shoes on. Two weeks later I was at the orthopedic clinic in pain from a stress fracture and plantar fasciitis. I am doing two months of physical therapy and if I'm lucky, I will be able to start walking again after that. With my new shoes on! After my diagnosis I went to a local running store and spent $150 on a pair of high-quality supportive shoes. That seems like a lot of money but I sure don't want to go through this situation again.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to go to a running shop, tell them that you're planning on walking and have them look at how you walk.
    You may pronate or you may not. They'll be able to tell you.

Plus what works for me, probably won't work for you.

This. I wore the wrong shoes my whole life until I did this when I started running. In addition to pronation you also need to consider how much support you need. I have super high arches (which I never knew cause I don't walk around looking at other peoples arches) and I need a shoe with a decent amount of support. There are many people who don't need that and prefer a minimal support shoe. Some people even advocate for barefoot walking and running but that hurts my footsies.
  • lauren28178
    lauren28178 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great advice- thanks so much!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A shoe with no raised heel is the most ergonomically correct for walking. Most shoes on the market have a raised heel unfortunately. Good "zero heel" shoes for walking include skateboard shoes and Keds, for example.
    Your feet have support muscles built in, so most people don't need extra arch support.. but if someone told you that you do, i'd slip in an insole like Superfeet.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    yes a good running/walking store can analyze your gait and get you in shoes that will last and be right for you. My local store has clearance shoes that are last years model and I have gotten some and gotten over 500 miles out of them. Good Luck

29509743.png