Run your first 10K

Options
I am in week 2 of training for running a 10k. Today I am suppose to run 2 miles, although I have already been running 3.1 miles I think I will continue to do so, until the training bumps up in mileage and I will increase from there. Is anyone else doing a training plan for a 10k??????

Replies

• ffemtchris
    ffemtchris Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Training for a (sprint) triathlon but that is only a 5K run.

First one was this past Sunday. Didn't really feel it until Monday.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one on Active.com, about 2 weeks from finishing. My first 10k isn't until the end of July.
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly training for one. I completed my first 5k back in April using the C25K program--it was super exciting. Since then I've been using a Bridge to 10K program on my phone, but I haven't been super focused.... I'm going out of town for three weeks in June and I know it's going to throw me off, so I'm really going to throw myself into it once I'm back.
  • deadlift
    deadlift Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon which is on the 12th of june, i did two 10k's last week (not events) and a 4 and 5 mile over the weekend, am going to try 10 miles tomorrow and am praying it doesn't break my feet, shins or knees as i've had trouble with them in the past. i did a 10k event in 2009 and was training for a half in 2010 but had various injuries (thanks to being a heavy runner at 210lbs) and have just started getting my distances up again.

my advice would be to bump up your distances every run and if you don't get any warning signs (ie. blisters, heel pain, arch pain, shin pain, pain at the sides of the knees) then just go for whatever you like!

i use google earth to plot my runs (using the path tool) , maybe you already use this. i wouldn't worry too much about the 'plan' if it feels like you can exceed it then do it :)

good luck and i hope you get a good personal time on the day.

6462020.png
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    When I was getting ready for my first 10k i went slow and steady with my runs. Every week I added an additional mile. However, i would incorporate short runs during that time, too. When i was running 4 miles my short run was 2 miles. Now that i run between 6 yo 7.5 for my long runs my short runs are 3 miles. Its all based on where you are at.
  • myndee
    myndee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ive signed up for my first ever 10k this 4th of July!! I also downloaded a training program that had me starting at lower miles than I had been previously running, so I've just been running on my scheduled days but farther than the program calls for. I did get all crazy this past Sunday and took on the whole 10k! This is a local run so a friend & me thought we would run/walk the course to know what kind of hills etc we are in for. Well I jogged almost the whole 6.2 miles & felt great (walk breaks for the biggest hill in the world)! I'm alot less nervous now about the 4th/race day & know I know just how big & scary that big & scary hill actually is!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I did my first 10k last sept with not nearly enough training (about 8 days, in fact). My biggest tip would be RUN 10K before the race! The longest I had done was 6.5km, and those last 4 km of the race were absolute hell. I completely crashed and was freezing cold and feeling sick. Train the full 10k. And eat breakfast on the morning of the race.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I just completed my first 5k last weekend. My next goal is to complete a 10k by end of summer.