PLEASE STOP!

Options
Hi everyone! I don't know about you but I'm tired of seeing the wrong data in the food database!!! It seems like 75% of the items I look up, are completely entered with the wrong information. Of course mistakes happen BUT THIS IS GETTING ABSURD! Lets support each other and enter in the CORRECT information. If I am using certain brands to make a recipes-I find it easier to just use my personal recipe tab. Instead of entering.....Jenn's egg omelet in the MFP database. Thanks!!

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Much agreed!:bigsmile:
  • mandyshell
    mandyshell Posts: 55
    Options
    Completely agreed!!! It is sooo frustrating.
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    I just corrected 3 items! Hopefully the more we correct, the better information we will have :)
  • RJaxon00
    RJaxon00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I almost don't want to go to subway anymore because of the amount of sandwiches in the list.

Chicken breast with mayo....Chicken breast with mayo + cheese...Chicken breast with mayo, no cheese....

:frown:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I almost don't want to go to subway anymore because of the amount of sandwiches in the list.

Chicken breast with mayo....Chicken breast with mayo + cheese...Chicken breast with mayo, no cheese....

:frown:

and even just 'cheese' is SO vague! i totally agree.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I go to search for something and 50000 of the SAME thing come up!!!!!!!
    UGH!! Like if you're going to add something to the database, CHECK first!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have been trying to edit some of the blatantly false ones when I have the time. So frustrating.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hah - probably the ppl doing this are not the same folks actively participating in the forums. :ohwell:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    The food database is largely entered by users. Some entries (those without asterisks) are "standard" entries. But the rest are user entered and there a LOT of variables that can make the entries for the same thing different.

First, there are people from all over the world on MFP, and the same product can have different ingredients/portions in different countries, or even regions of the same country.

Also, over time, companies change recipes, change package size/portion size, etc. So even a couple of months can mean the same item can have different values.

And, of course, there is always user error. Some people also don't track all of the different nutrients, so they may enter only calories.

The site creators are continually working on verifying database information, but there are literally tens of thousands of entries - it takes time. They are also working on ways to reduce duplicates and streamline the process so that spelling errors and such won't be as much of an issue. Try to be patient. :flowerforyou:
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Agreed. If it's one of my own personal recipes I've managed to whip up, I don't make it public.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Hah - probably the ppl doing this are not the same folks actively participating in the forums. :ohwell:

Sad, but true.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    I was one who would make my items public, but after about the 3rd one realized it was a bother to others. My reason was so I could enter it one time and make it available for my husband. After searching for one of them in the database one time, I figured it was easier just to jot it down then enter it into my foods, then into his foods under his log in.

We should all do our part on this end - if it's your recipe, don't make it public, it's clogging the database. I think it might help if there is a way for the site facilitators to be able to make those no longer public, and kick them back into individuals databases - thus not making the person lose the information, but at the same time kicking them out of the public database (hope this makes sense...)
  • Gretchen27
    Gretchen27 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is why I use the quick calorie options. I use the basic food then I add the extras with the quick calories and I only enter a food into the data base when I have the food lable in front of me.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    I had no idea. I just search for the foods and click on the ones that I want. Is it seriously that inaccurate? I usally don't check...no I'm worried.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    *now
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    Yeah Lisabel there seem to be a lot of mistakes....SORRY!