butter!?

Options
ladylu11
ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
I like brown rice, sweet potatoes, vegetables, etc..... but, I don't like them without butter. Just wondering what you all are using because sometimes I think the butter is more calories than the meal I am eating!

4433730.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• alpinefresh1
    alpinefresh1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Since I was a child my mother always put soy sauce on the brown rice. Now that I am an adult, and have more "educated" taste buds, I reccomend that you look into purchasing a really good Tamari sauce, but use sparingly as it is high in sodium. As for the sweet potatoes, try a corn relish, or corn black bean salsa. Oh, and that works for the rice too :-)
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have recently become a big fan of the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray. Buttery flavor without the calories. Sure, it's not the real thing, but it helps!
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that I like sweet potatoes better without butter or sugar. I bake them in the oven, split them open nd sprinkle vietnamese or chinese cinnamon on them. The texture is o creamy, I don't miss the buter. I've also discovered that a light sprinkl8ng of salt on my cooked veggies satisfis my taste buds' search for butter. I still use real butter on things that I can't bear going without. (Corn on the cobb, toast). B7ut I pick and choose.
  • Jholt47
    Jholt47 Posts: 20
    Options
    I use coconut oil in place of butter for everything. I love it.
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest the cooking sprays that are butter flavored. I know the one I have is zero calories, but I honestly never tried adding it to anything for me specifically. I think I will try that on my green beans the next time I have them.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I still use butter.

*shrug*
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    have you tried cooking them in chicken broth? I spritz some veggie or olive oil on my sweet potatoes before i bake them. I find it i drop a favorite of mine and then go back to it later it is just not as good as I thought. So maybe you should try a butter detox. lol
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If I'm grilling vegetables, I mix up a bit of olive oil with seasonings and coat the veggies before hand, then grill...very yummy! If I'm steaming veggies, I do like a little something on them sometimes. I use Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread. I will use it by itself, or sometimes I will mix it with fresh chopped garlic and some fresh ground black pepper (other herbs/seasonings can be added too if desired). With regards to rice, I will use light soy sauce (it's just reduced sodium is all). I also like to mix my rice with canned diced tomatoes, sprinkle in some onion powder, garlic powder, and maybe throw in some black beans. =)
  • mehmig
    mehmig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am really into real foods, not fake, so I would use the butter or coconut oil ( which is soooooooo good for you). But if not, use the cinnamon. That is great to control blood sugar too. But this is all coming from someone that doesn't like artificial foods at all, so take it for what you think it is worth.

And best of luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like brown rice, sweet potatoes, vegetables, etc..... but, I don't like them without butter. Just wondering what you all are using because sometimes I think the butter is more calories than the meal I am eating!

I rarely (almost never) use butter because I avoid saturated fat. I usually use some type of healthy vegetable oil with veggies and/or rice. Usually olive oil, but sometimes safflower, sunflower, peanut, canola or rice oils. I rarely use margarines, but when I do I use Benecol. And season well! (I love most of the Mrs. Dash seasonings and/or soy sauce)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I still use butter.

*shrug*

Me too. The fat helps the body to absorb particular vitamins that are fat soluable, otherwise they are just passed through the body and never absorbed.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I use butter....in moderation. If you enjoy it, eat it! I am not depriving myself of anything for the rest of my life.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    On the vegetables, try lemon zest and squeeze a little lemon juice on them, with a teeny touch of salt.
    There are many different sauces that are out there that I use to lightly coat things. One of them that isn't too terribly bad it Paula Deen's Vidialia Onion and Peach Sauce. OHHHHH mah gravy. Gives it a kick of spice too.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I like brown rice, sweet potatoes, vegetables, etc..... but, I don't like them without butter. Just wondering what you all are using because sometimes I think the butter is more calories than the meal I am eating

Organic Pastures Pasture Butter.
    I use Butter.

Kerrygold Butter is readily available too
  • Cletc
    Options
    I use coconut oil in place of butter for everything. I love it.

I wish I did
    I use it a lot, but I get the Actual gag/dry-heave reflex from it, right there with my fork in hand, yup.
    I wish I liked it.

I do take Coconut Oil gelcaps to increase my daily intake of coconut oil though.
  • Cletc
    Options
    squeeze a little lemon juice on them

Oh, yeah, Lemon Juice

I go through a lot of Lemon Juice. Yes!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I use the 0 calorie spray butter and garlic....the past few days I have had to cook with margarine bleh 100 calories..I feel your pain
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I use butter too. A little goes a long way on flavor. But, if you are looking for an alternative, Brown and Brummel Spread is an excellent substitution using yogurt in their product.
  • CatchThatKitten
    Options
    Land O' Lakes makes a half-the-calories butter replacement that's DELICIOUS! It's called Light Butter (I use the stuff with Canola Oil, but I think there's an olive oil option too...). I really love I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray...I'll even use a few sprays in my macaroni and cheese instead of real butter and it's still tasty!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've never put anything on my rice, usually whatever i have with it is in some sort of sauce so is fine. When i use butter or oil in my food, say a roast potato i put the potato in a baggy and put in a small amount of oil and massage it round, the oil tends to go further but if i think it needs more i'll use a bit of frylight aswell so i get the flavour from the oil or butter but i'm only using half of it. It saves a few calories. Frylight is 1 cal a spray but a tbsp of olive oil is about 90 so i'm saving about 40-45 cals.