Trying to lose 20 lbs in 2 months!

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm Fe a 22 year old female from Hawaii. I am trying to lose 20 lbs by August 9. The reason for the date is because that is the day I finish nursing school. Looking for an accountability buddy/buddies or those with similar goals, lol.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Given that your weight loss goal (28lb) is not too significant, 20lb by 9 August way be a stretch. A more realistic aim for someone who doesn't have a lot of weight to lose is average of about 1lb per week.

Unrealistic goals sets up people for failure when disappointment sets in week after week when the weight loss is not quick or high enough to reach the unrealistic goal.

• rbbellejr
    rbbellejr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It can be done... 3lbs a week
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    No, it cannot be done at her current size.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Is it doable? Probably. Is it realistic or sustainable? Probably not.
  • oxBethanyxo
    oxBethanyxo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Fe!
    you can do it girl!
    I've lost 5lbs in only 3 days.
    its all about determination and staying motivated!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    ^water weight
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hey Fe!
    you can do it girl!
    I've lost 5lbs in only 3 days.
    its all about determination and staying motivated!

It's all about your recent water weight flushing out and nothing to do with a sustainable weight loss pattern.
    Don't give false hopes to newbies. Sorry to burst your bubble. Keep at it though, flushing that water weight happens in the first two weeks of consistent dieting, and if you keep at it, it WILL keep dropping, just not at the same accelerated pace. A one pound/week drop is GREAT.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is it doable? Probably. Is it realistic or sustainable? Probably not.

Not healthy either...
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    It can be done but with no carbs and a lot of discipline.
  • avr5097
    avr5097 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with majority of the above. With only 28 lbs to lose dropping 20 lbs in 2 months (8 weeks) seems like an unrealistic goal. If you have 128 lbs to lose total then maybe...
    I would say focus on a goal of 1 lbs per week, you could even lose 10 lbs in the 2 months if you work at it! Personally I just find that if I set a goal that is too high, when I don't reach it I get upset and then ultimately fall off the wagon.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Nope. Set your goal as more realistic, like maybe 8-10 pounds.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    First of all you set yourself a target with an arbitrary date, nothing happens on that date if you dont reach 20lb lost. So thats you creating pressure on yourself.

Considering the amount you have to lose then id say its highly unlikely you will make it because to do so means you need to hit the ground running and you need to be creating c 1000 daily calorie deficit. You moght get an initial water weight boost but only the gullible will extrapolarte that to believeing its representative of your weight loss in the future.

Try by all means, but I wouldnt advise a fiend to do it and id suggest to them its better to do it sustainably, healthily and with the knowledge they have a better chance of keeping it off.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I think you should reset your expectations and pick a more realistic goal.

For example, I was heavily Obese (211 lbs and only 5'2). It took me 10 weeks to lose 19.6 lbs. That's well over 2 months, and I had alot to lose.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Nope. Set your goal as more realistic, like maybe 8-10 pounds.
    this is the best advice