Sodium

Options
Neondays
Neondays Posts: 16 Member
what's the negatives of eating to much salt (sodium)?
I'm wantin to mix up so cucumber slices soaked in salt water and lime.
But I know it takes a lot of salt.

Replies

• Darksideofthemoon1
    Darksideofthemoon1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Avoid salt
  • Neondays
    Options
    That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking "why"
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Unless you have health issues that require you to monitor salt like hbp or kidney issues then it does not matter.
  • rachelecosse
    rachelecosse Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Long term: Too much sodium over a long period of time may contribute to high blood pressure, which is why 'reduced salt' products exist.
    Short term: Too much salt may cause you to retain water, which can be frustrating when you're losing/gaining weight as it can make your weigh less accurate.

I wouldn't worry about eating salty things occasionally.
  • Neondays
    Options
    Okay :) thanks! I usually stay under everyday but today I wanted some cucumbers lol!
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Take the goal MFP gives you and reduce it. Aim for 2000mg or LESS a day of sodium
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, you may retain some water but that's easily fixed by drinking more water. And seeing as how you say that you stay under what is recommended I don't see a problem with you doing what you want at all.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • mwinnett69
    mwinnett69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    READ LABLES, that's all you need to do, the average person with no illnesses (menieres, high blood pressure, etc) should not consume more than 2400mg a day. if you read the labels/nutrition facts on EVERYTHING you eat from your processed foods (cans, boxes, plastics , fast food) your mouth would drop to the floor. I live a low sodium life for the last 3 yrs have gone back to basics eating/preparing fresh foods as much as possible, & only because my husband is ill not because I have to, because I have learned salt is not necessary there are sooooo many spices you can use that will make you not even miss or notice. :) toss the salt !
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Neondays wrote: »
    what's the negatives of eating to much salt (sodium)?
    I'm wantin to mix up so cucumber slices soaked in salt water and lime.
    But I know it takes a lot of salt.

Too much salt in one meal may cause you to retain water weight.
  • epixstudiosnh
    epixstudiosnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have to stay under 1,000mg a day (which is ridiculously hard to do) in order not to gain a bunch of water weight (while drinking at least 40 ounces of water a day if not more)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    seancox1 wrote: »
    Avoid salt

why? it's an essential electrolyte.
  • mwinnett69
    mwinnett69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    there is salt in even raw foods, just not a substantial amount. it IS an electrolyte needed when our bodies get dehydrated, but if you were to just to read the label on the salt container you have at home you will see it is around 800mg PER 1/8 tsp. .... and if we are only to have 2400 mg a day ?? do the math :) keep up the great work everyone getting healthy and fit! Have a great day :)