I Lost the weight physically, but mentally...

Options
aisforamyaz
aisforamyaz Posts: 11 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
I have reached my goal weight and have been maintaining just fine. I am walking daily and almost always reach my 10,000 steps a day goal and then some. My problem is that, even though I am healthier now than I have been since high school (I am 44 and have had numerous health problems over the years), I still can't get out of the "you're fat" mind frame. I have been at an acceptable weight for four years and still get startled sometimes when I see my reflection and realize I am not fat anymore. When I go shopping for clothes, I still tend to gravitate toward the plus size section of the store and have to remind myself that I'm past that. I am still embarrassed to wear a swimsuit in public. Do others experience this?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is common. It takes a while to accept the new you. Your brain needs a while to catch up. Sometimes there are parts of that you never let go of. I just use it to my advantage - remembering where we were at one point and what we were unhappy with helps us stay on track long term.
  • BeingKevin2
    BeingKevin2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I still get nervous if I have to walk in a crowd thinking I can't get through. I still get nervous when a host/hostess asks me, "booth or table," fearful of them realizing I don't fit in a booth. I still worry about fitting in chairs, or if I will break them when I do. I still feel like the biggest guy in the room despite the fact that I rarely am.

Basically, I still have all the same fears and anxieties I did three years and 200 pounds ago. Some days are better than others, but I don't know if that will ever change. Either way being in that mind frame is much better than being in that shape again.

Good luck to you. :)

Kevin