Feeling Guilty

Options
Hi everyone,

Well I was doing very well on my life style change (not dieting), Ok maybe dieting at first lol... losing 12 lbs. over a months time. Today, I totally failed. Eating chocolate and a pizza. I have about 24 lbs. to go and just feel horrible now, emotionally and literally for downing a pizza :( How do you guys handle 'falling off the wagon', dust yourself off and go day by day again?

Thank you,

Dan

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Dust yourself off, and get back at it. There really isn't anything else to do!
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    You are human. These things will happen. The only mistake you can make is not picking up where you left off tomorrow and continuing your journey! 12lbs is great! You've got this! One day will hardly ruin all of your hard work. Take a walk or work out as you wish and drink your water tomorrow and the earth will continue to spin:)
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Did you eat pizza before? Will you eat pizza again? Of course you will, it's pizza! So, dust yourself off and get on track today, right now, right this second. Fit a walk in, and make a mental note of how the pizza made you feel. If you feel sick, next time try less pizza. I did it with in and out many moons ago, and had about the worst tummy ache ever for a day. NEVER AGAIN. Once your body gets used to eating a certain way it is harder to revert back to bad habits!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I eat weekly cals instead of daily. Easier to balance and those "mistakes" aren't really mistakes. You have to have a reward of what you love sometimes : o ). I'll also throw in an extra work out or two. Don't get me wrong, I am no gym person or special program person. I'm a "Let me walk 30 minutes extra" or more commonly "I can add a mile" to my run. During football season I skim 100 - 150 cals a day to use for beer and wings on Sat (college) or Sun (NFL).

I'm wondering, can you really never see yourself eating pizza or chocolate again? It's easier to make provisions for it and go forward. Also, for the chocolate - you didn't say how much you ate. Was it a whole cake or something or a candy bar. There's planning for dips in the road and then there's falling off the wagon and landing on your *kitten*.

Another thing about planning for my "cheat day" that's not really a cheat day. It gives me the power. And I like that.

Hope this helps your perspective!

Cheers!
    leslisa
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat day two days ago where i went out to eat and got bread and creamy sauce pasta. It HIT THE SPOT! I felt soooooo guilty. I felt like a failure...at first, but i went back to my routine the very next morning! It is ok to reward and treat yourself. You are human. Enjoy some pizza and chocolate, as long as you stick with it in the long run, you will be fine! 12lbs!? You so have this! I have 70 :/
  • yasminbower1991
    yasminbower1991 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Exactly this! None of us are perfect (says the woman who spent all of sunday eating carbs due to a killer hangover!) just get back on it and dont lose faith in yourself, 12lbs in a month is a huge acheivement you should be proud xx
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I shrug, log it, and start over the next day. Everyone has off days and days they make mistakes. Just chalk it up to experience and start fresh. One day of being over isn't the end of the world and it's not going to sabotage your progress. It's only when you consistently have several days in a row where you're over that you need to reevaluate what you're doing.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If it's a lifestyle change stop thinking of it as "cheating". You had a day where you went over your count. Consider it a treat day, pick yourself up and stay under your goals tomorrow.
  • RuefulRabbit
    RuefulRabbit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    QFT.
  • heatherb243
    heatherb243 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd say don't be too hard on yourself. Write it off as a mistake, don't fixate on it. It happens to all of us. Sometimes I swear I'm afraid of success because I will do really well and then sabotage myself for a little while. Just remind yourself that you want it and that it is important to stick with your goals. Good luck! :D
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Huh. I just finished off a pizza myself. May have some ice cream later tonight. I'm still under my calorie goal s I think I'm safe.

Relax. You are allowed to eat pizza and chocolate. How much you are allowed to eat is another thing. If you are over goal for today it's not to late to get out and do some exercise. Even if you finish the day over goal just look at it as an educational experience. Stop depriving yourself and enjoy food you like, in moderation.
  • blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel guilty?" Good" food can be just as "bad food" everything in moderation. I have lost 15 lbs and do not deny myself anything but i limit it. I grew up in a very italian household were food was meant to be savored and was an experience. My friend gets mad because i will eat what i want and still lose but its because i make sure i dont eat the whole bag of chips and a whole thing of dip. When we labelbthings as good bad cheat foods it triggers the feelings we get. Enjoy what you want just try to maintain your measuring and tracking.