meals low in fat & sodium ??

Options
laurencurry26
laurencurry26 Posts: 48 Member
I'm looking for easy lunches and possible dinners for the summer that are easy to make. sometimes my family makes dinner that isn't as healthy as I would like so I want a quick easy meal that I can whip up by myself and still stay on my goal!

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I grill a lot. I make my own low sodium seasonings and grill chicken, turkey burgers, shrimp and fish. I make fish tacos, lettuce wraps, spaghetti squash with some type of sauce.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/08/taco-lettuce-wraps-with-creamy-mexican.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/07/grilled-fish-tacos.html
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    grill some chicken, bake a potato, and steam some broccoli
  • dklibert
    Options
    Thought of a few more but you have to be careful of the amount of light soy sauce you use. You can also make you own hummus to control sodium and fat.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/06/california-roll-salad.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/05/hummus-power-bowls.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/inside-out-egg-roll-re-post.html
  • dklibert
    Options
    Last one. These Total 10 Bowls from Doctor Oz are great. The only one I did not care for was the Mexican Bowl it was bland. Needs some more seasoning.

doctoroz.com/recipe-collection/total-10-dinners
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i cook salt less
    make my own recipes and post photo's you can always add me :)
  • mikepink1955
    mikepink1955 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow, looks like a couple of people on here that I need to get together with about low sodium diet recipes, hints, tips and what other great things you might be doing. I've been doing low sodium for about 5 months now and I feel very restricted on what I can and cannot have. Could use your help, too. Thanks :-)
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Use dry spices to flavor meats instead of marinades. If too many spices scare you buy the Mrs Dash seasonings, they have several different types of flavors.

Make up a batch of black beans, they're great cold in a salad with shredded cheese, corn, onions, peppers, spicy pork, chicken, grilled fish or beef. For dressing use plain greek yogurt mixed with chili powder/hot sauce and avacado, super yummy and full of flavor without going crazy on sodium.
    If you're not willing to make your own beans you can buy low sodium black beans but I do suggest rinsing them before adding to salad.

Pasta salad can be quite tasty too, just add all your favorite veggies, meat, cheese to whole grain or vegetable pasta and then use olive oil and italian seasoning (dry spice not salad dressing) and a touch of garlic with a dash celery salt.

Kabobs are a favorite of mine and I don't mind them reheated so it's a good leftover to have for lunch.

Whole chicken is another good option and if cooking is a problem you can buy them already cooked in most supermarkets. Just pull the meat from the bone and enjoy it however you want.

The biggest thing is figuring out what your favorite staple foods are and then using them to create meals.
  • BWBTrish
    edited June 2015
    Options
    you can always add me mike

I cook salt less and i watch also the natural salty foods to not combine them too much in one day.
    Like cod is a very salt fish so i wont eat tuna salad the same day which is salty too ;)

My salt intake has a max of 1500 mg a day but most day i dont get even that high and can stay under the 1000mg a day :)

Therefor i watch my potassium of course and i must say i can hit the 3500mg a day and some days even over :)
    I cook with a lot of spices and herbs yummie

Its all about preplanning and good logging
    I started a FB with preparation and pictures of my daily food intake too
  • mikepink1955
    Options
    I've been scratch cooking for a number of years. That's how I was raised. Canned food meant that it came from the garden, the orchard, the ranch or out of the ocean. I love spices and use as many as I can. My daily sodium intake is around 1350 to 1500 mg. The first day I did MFP and logged everything, I did a normal diet. Which I thought was low sodium. Quit using added salt pretty much on everything when I was a young man. Well, to my surprise, I ingested around 4500mg of sodium that day. I am finding it everywhere. Difficult to cook for my wife, since she was complaining before about me not salting the food enough. LOL. It's amazes me that even in the so-called health food stores, a lot of there products are high in sodium. My Family Doctor turned me onto MyFitnessPal (he uses it as well). And it has really helped me keep track of all this.

Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can figure out how to do "a friend request".
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    yes there is salt in everything.
    Thats why i spread some food out over days and dont eat them together.

My husband eat the same as me but adds a bit of salt on his food. Problem solved, he is used to it and even read the labels in stores.

My biggest hurdle is cheese, i love cheese but some of them ( the ones i like ofcourse) have a high salt amount.

oh well better this way and being aware of what i get. My body is me more thankful in the long run lol
  • mikepink1955
    Options
    Hi Lauren. The name of one of my granddaughters. Cool. Fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, lean meat, fish. Simple is always better. Less sauces, dressings, cheeses you use will help keep calories and fats to a minimum. Lean, boneless meats only take about 10 minutes to cook in your skillet (unless you like to grill). Bags of spinach, spring mix greens, with pre-shredded cabbage and carrots, toss in a sliced tomato, maybe some kidney beans and some red onion, your salad is done. Rice cookers are great and work wonderful.