Earning Calories With Exercise??

2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Hiking can burn a lot of calories, depending on many factors.

At Philmont Scout Ranch they provide about 5000 calories per day per person. Attendees are carrying 40-50 pound packs, hiking 5-10 miles per day through steep climbs at elevations mostly about 9000 feet, and are mostly young males with high calorie requirements anyway.

A rough estimate says that the average participant is burning maybe 2000-3000 calories per day hiking in these conditions.

I am aware of the burns I am ex military we did a lot of ruck sack marches...just asking durations etc.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    I just bought a Polar FT7 HRM yesterday and I'm so glad I did. Apparently it's easy for me to burn 1800+ calories cycling for 2 hours on a route with a lot of hills (20 mile ride). I should be able to just listen to my body and eat delicious food now with plenty of calories to spare.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Hiking can burn a lot of calories, depending on many factors.

At Philmont Scout Ranch they provide about 5000 calories per day per person. Attendees are carrying 40-50 pound packs, hiking 5-10 miles per day through steep climbs at elevations mostly about 9000 feet, and are mostly young males with high calorie requirements anyway.

A rough estimate says that the average participant is burning maybe 2000-3000 calories per day hiking in these conditions.

I am aware of the burns I am ex military we did a lot of ruck sack marches...just asking durations etc.

I figured you were aware; I was also curious about the poster's claims. Sorry for the ambiguity.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    It's what I do. I'm on 1700/day allowance and when I hike I regularly burn 3-4K. I like being negative at the end of each day. It just accelerates your losing.

Losing more than just fat as well...you will run out of gas soon enough if you are truly burning all those calories...even a fraction like half and you will find yourself tired, lethargic and in about 5 months...malnourished with thinning nails and brittle hair...

and yah how long do you hike and how much are you carrying for those burns...wow

Wait....wut?

Aim to be negative at the end of each day?
    I'm on 1700/day allowance and when I hike I regularly burn 3-4K

Aim for -1300 to -2300 calories these days?

Yep, that's healthy.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Yes! I rely on exercise to earn more calories every day! I actually enjoy the challenge and always eat back at least some of those calories. Exactly how much varies. If I run 5 miles, I will probabyl eat a good portion back. If I earning exercise calories through many easy walks peppered throughout the day I don't really need the fuel, but will eat back just depending on how hungry I am.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I exercise more so I can eat more but am not hungry enough to eat them all back - I usually leave several hundred on the table each day.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member

jaga13 wrote: »
    Yes! I rely on exercise to earn more calories every day! I actually enjoy the challenge and always eat back at least some of those calories. Exactly how much varies. If I run 5 miles, I will probabyl eat a good portion back. If I earning exercise calories through many easy walks peppered throughout the day I don't really need the fuel, but will eat back just depending on how hungry I am.

This strategy works for me as well.

• fad_sin26
    fad_sin26 Posts: 7 Member
    DO NOT LOG EXERCISE! It will just give you more of a reason to eat more. Not sure why this app even offers that because they ask you what your activity level is. Just my suggestion. ;)
  • fad_sin26
    fad_sin26 Posts: 7 Member
    Don't exercise for food! Exercise for your goal!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    fad_sin26 wrote: »
    DO NOT LOG EXERCISE! It will just give you more of a reason to eat more. Not sure why this app even offers that because they ask you what your activity level is. Just my suggestion. ;)

Your activity level is just for normal, daily activity. Exercise gets added in separately.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    jaga13 wrote: »

This is pretty much what I do.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited June 2015
    Dnarules wrote: »

Your activity level is just for normal, daily activity. Exercise gets added in separately.
    Exactly.

This app does not include exercise in the calculation. It only asks for your exercise level so you have a set goal for yourself. It is designed to give a base and to add exercise as it's done. Other calculators give you the exercise calories up front but average it across your week.

Since MFP uses the former system (NEAT), you need to eat back at least a portion of those calories to fuel yourself for the extra work.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member

What if your goal is to eat more food? ;)
  • jaga13

What if your goal is to eat more food? ;)

I love you.
  • jaga13
    Just to clarify, if you are consistent in your daily activities, you can include this on MFP, and therefore don't have to log exercise calories if you don't want to. So rather than sedentary, you can select slightly active or whatever you typically are, and you will automatically get more calories to eat. This could work well if you are really consistent.

However, I chose to select sedentary and then log exercise for two reasons:
    - I don't have consistency. Today I ran 2 miles but tomorrow I will not.
    - I kind of enjoy the challenge of earning more calories. Without any exercise, I only get a mere 1220 calories (.5 lb loss). That's just not enough, so I make sure to take a lot of extra steps and find ways to sneak in exercise. I log it throughout the day and I like seeing the number go up. It's very motivating to me, but that's very individual.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

you will note that MFP's descriptors for activity level make no mention of exercise activity...just day to day hum drum. this is because the MFP utilizes the NEAT method for which you account for exercise after the fact. Yes, it can be customized to use the TDEE method, but that is not the default.

without exercise I'm light active and MFP gives me about 2450 calories to maintain...I assure you I maintain on more than that...so if I was using MFP according to design and I didn't eat back exercise calories I would continue to lose weight and be all WTF if I took your advice.

Personally, I use the TDEE method, but that is not the default for MFP.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    DO NOT LOG EXERCISE! It will just give you more of a reason to eat more.

I truly enjoying exercising, but I also DO need a reason to be able eat more... I'm small! I could not live on 1500 calories per day, even if I did nothing!