Slim Fast Diet

Options
Does anyone know if the Slim Fast Diet works?

Replies

• chickadee10
    Options
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    Any time that I have tried doing Slim Fast, I was hungry. And not just a little, I mean HUNGRY! It has been a while since I have tried it so maybe with the products they have now it would be better. Good luck!:wink:
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I tried the Optima Shakes for a short time... didn't lose anything but I think at the time I was actually getting too few calories. I was having a Kelloggs snack bar 110 cal for breakfast...Optima Shake for lunch after walking for 25 minutes and a dinner... oh and lots of gum for snack. So... if you tried it make sure you get the Optima because it makes you feel fuller longer and make sure you get enough calories.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    sure I think any 'diet' will work short term.... but if you're looking for a lifelong change of eating habits..slow and steady wins the race everytime! :drinker: You might not drop 15 lbs in 4 days but the 2lbs a week or so will much more likely stay off for good as we continue to change our eating habits, food choices and toss in some good cardio and strength training....:bigsmile:

Sometimes folks use it as a jump start but I can't imagine anyone thinking they could stay on it a lifetime....

The best to you:flowerforyou: :happy:

FC:heart:
  • chickadee10
    Options
    Okay. But I have a few more questions.
    1. Since the drinks are chocolate and vinalla, will that not make you gain weight or does it make it easier to lose?
    2. Do you think it'll cost a lot to get all of the food?
    3. What does it say to eat every day (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
    Thanks again!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    You can find out about it on their website. I don't think the flavorings will make you gain. They just make them sort of taste better. I would guess that they are artifical flavors.

Price wise I would rather spend my $ on fruits, vegies, whole grains, meat.

Like FC said it will only work as a short term diet. Whatever you lose you will probably gain back quickly when you start to eat more food again. You won't be able to stay on this forever which is why you are better off making healthy changes in your eating and exercising.
  • chickadee10
    Options
    I see what you're getting at now. It probably would be cheaper just to buy regular food and not eat a lot. What all's good food that healthy? I'm pretty much new at this.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I see what you're getting at now. It probably would be cheaper just to buy regular food and not eat a lot. What all's good food that healthy? I'm pretty much new at this.
    Tell ya what...someone just this morning posted a terrific list of good foods....let me see if I can find it and I can PM it to you. I'd do a search but I think it was a post in response to a question in a thread and not sure I can do a search for that.:laugh: Clear as mud?:laugh: :blushing: But I know I pasted the list to my blog for looking at later..:bigsmile:

FC:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Ok, here ya go....just created a new thread with the healthier foods list......:drinker:

Here's the link included in case it gets bumped down to far and ya miss it:wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/33083-food-lists-from-bodybuilding-com-hungrygirl-com-exellent
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast used to be godawful, because you were basically starving the weight off and not learning a lick about proper health and nutrition. And you were crazy hungry. Screw Whoopie.

But, to match stride with America's recent health kick, Slim Fast has reformed itself. Now, it works by setting up online meal plans than incorporate Slim Fast food instead of using just Slim Fast. How much weight you need to lose dictates the ratio of Slim Fast to regular food, but essentially you're "weaned off" of Slim Fast. They also have free dietitians on call, which is rather cool.

Still though, Slim Fast is a company, and they want you to buy their food. The Slim Fast shakes (imo) are tasty and definitely better nutrition-wise than they used to be, but I can craft far more satisfying (and just as healthy) breakfasts in my kitchen.

Oh, and I'm not actually on Slim Fast, but my mom was. She didn't stick with it. It gave me a taste for the chocolate ones though. Every once in a blue moon when I'm racing out the door with no time at all, I grab one.
  • chickadee10
    Options
    Thanks Fitness_Chick for the list of food. I'll look at it in a minute.
    And Phoenixflame, thanks for the info.
    :smile:
  • butterflydiva
    Options
    I'm currently doing slimfast right now (have been for the past few weeks) and while I have lost weight and enjoy the products I know it's not something I want to keep on doing to reach my goal weight. In fact I have enough in the house to last about 2 weeks, so I think I just might finish what I have then go back strickly to regular foods.

Here's what a normal daily menu looks like for me on SF (I try to get in between 1201400 cals a day)

B- SF shake or bar
    S- Healthy snack (Fruit, veggies, ect.. ect...
    L- SF shake or bar
    S- Healthy snack
    D- whatever I want as long as it includes lean meat, proteing and veggies
    S- SF snack bar and another healthy snack

I've been making sure that besides the SF products I eat healthy (drinking my water, getting in 5-6 servings of fruits and veggies a day) This way when I ease myself off SF (in about 2 weeks) all I'll have to do is replace breakfast and lunch with healthy meals without worry to much about the weight coming back.

But again it's fine to do for a while, but not something you wanna live on
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is a supplement. The idea is to decrease your calories.

My experience is they are loaded with sugar, which makes me want more sugar.

The idea is the same, eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. You must first make the commitment to change your eating habits. I have watched my DH down a cheeseburger and fries with a can of Slim Fast.

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • loki65
    loki65 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have low blood sugar & whenever I tried Slimfast in the past it only made me sick!!! Which says to me, that there must be a lot of sugar & carbs in those things & not a whole lot of protein!!! Plus, it doesn't exactly teach you to change your eating habits! So maybe in the short term if you want to do that for a week to drop a few quick pounds, but I can't see using Slim fast long term to lose say, 40 pounds! :noway:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Thanks Fitness_Chick for the list of food. I'll look at it in a minute.
    And Phoenixflame, thanks for the info.
    :smile:
    no problem chickadee10:wink: ...glad I could offer something up for you:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

FC:heart:
  • lexley
    lexley Posts: 35
    Options
    This was also my experience with Slimfast. I always was more hungrier AFTER I drank my shake. I was doing the OPTIMA ones too. The sugar in the drinks make you crave more.
  • mellymlk
    mellymlk Posts: 187
    Options
    I used slim fast when I first working out. When I was having a real battle with food. I would drink it when I felt hungry and didn't need to eat. It really curved my appetite.
  • mrwatson
    Options
    I gained weight with Slim Fast. I ended up eating my normal caloric intake PLUS the Slim Fast. I was hungry more often and craved food continually.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I keep some at the office... just in case I forget to bring a lunch. But I still watch the caloric intake on myfitnesspal as my overall guide as to how much to eat or not to eat. Slim Fast or whatever it is, it still comes down to the math.
  • mhosner
    mhosner Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I did a sort of slim fast diet in 2002. My day went as follows.. 6am up to feed baby and then AM Shake and then DA Lifetime fitness tape pre-recorded from day before for 1 hour. Then at 9am bowl of peaches. At noon small salad. 3pm SF snack bar on my walk to the park with baby. 6pm Any type of soup I wanted to eat for dinner as much as I want and crackers. 8pm popcorn or SF shake and then bed. After 8 months I had lost 45 pounds. I kept it off long enough to get pregnant again. But it worked and I wasn't hungry, and I was a SAHM and still didn't find myself looking in the fridge for something. But the key is that I didn't have other children, work, school, life.. I was in a new city didn't know anyone, didn't know my way around to fast food places. Had time to workout and seemed to be way easier then, then now..

Good Luck!