Hip dysplasia and exercise

Options
Daisy_May
Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
I have hip dysplasia and in the last couple years I haven't had too many problems or too much pain with it. But about a month and a hlaf ago I started the 30 Day shred and went hard at it for about 9 days, well by the 8th day I could barely walk I finished one more day and thought I'd just take a few days off.
Ever since then the slightest thing pops my hip out and causes HUGE amounts of pain, like laying in my bed crying because I can't move sort of pain.
SO recently all I've been doing for exercise is walking and some days I can't even do that, I'm an avid hiker and with the warm weather finally returning in Ontario I really want to get out there. But I’m scared, I'm scared to hike, scared to try new exercises, scared to do anything but walk(and some days even that will pop my hip out).

Does anyone have any suggestions for exercise I could be doing that wouldn't aggravate my hip? I miss exercising!!

Replies

• lbkrillin
    lbkrillin Posts: 19
    Options
    My wife suffers from this as well. Im interested to see if anyone has some good advice.
  • Daisy_May
    Options
    By the way, hip dysplasia basically means my hips pop out of the socket and causes great pain.
  • Daisy_May
    Options
    not a common aliment I guess:-(
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have hip dysplasia too. I'm 24 and had it for coming up to two years now.
    They told me it should have been spotted at birth and from the age of about 11 I noticed it always used to click on my left side. It never used to hurt until about 2 years ago when it started hurting a lot. After a lot of hospital appointments they said that my joint had not developed properly as I was growing older so i have a really sloped partial hip disc. I'm waiting for surgery to get it fixed soon and until then find it really painful to do most things.

Have you had it checked with x-ray?
  • kilham
    kilham Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any good recommendations? I am 42, and need a hip replacement due to hip dysplasia and arthritis. However I can't have surgery until my weight is down.
    I can barely walk, standing for long is painful. I need help!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    @kilham, can you get a referral to a PT that can set you up with a routine?

If not look at low impact movements, swimming or aqua fit are excellent as the water acts as a support.
    Tai Chi, a gentle form of yoga, or stretching could help too.

Rowing or cycling may be possible.

If you do start any new exercise, take it slow, and build up your frequency and duration over time.

Consult with your doctor before anything.

Cheers, h.
  • thatjodiegirl
    thatjodiegirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 47 years old, and I have hip arthritis and dysplasia. I cannot walk on a treadmill beyond 5 minutes without terrible pain and clicking. The only cardio I do is the elliptical.

Also, I do these exercises daily. They really help with pain and range of motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQNk6mpFsww&list=WL&index=2&t=0s

If the link doesn't work, go to Youtube and search "Arthritis Stretches & Exercises-Ask Dr. Jo." This 5-minute video has changed my fitness life drastically!

Also, feel free to add me. I would like to connect with others who have this condition.
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have hip dysplasia...and I’m 40. Had my hip scoped in Jan to fix my labrum and release the flexor (I couldn’t walk more than a couple of minutes), and they found a lot of unexpected arthritis. They said I would need a replacement sooner rather than later.

My doctor and PT are great...I definitely recommend finding a good therapist. They can work with you on strengthening to help with the pain and recommend exercises. I still can’t walk more than a couple of minutes, but can bike, do the elliptical, swim, and lift. I am only doing body weight for legs (my PT gives me programs) and lift heavier for upper body. My leg work is focused on core and glutes. My PT also does dry needling to help with a lot of the tightness, and that sometimes really helps with the pain/discomfort

• bewhichwitch
    bewhichwitch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have just recently found out that I have hip dysplasia in my right hip. I have not really been exercising since November 2019 when I hurt myself running. Didnt realise that this is what I had until End of February. I am set to have the injection guided by xray soon. Eventually will need a hip replacement. How long do you wait to have the hip replacement done. I am 38. Have you had the replacement done? I hope all is well with you. Thanks