Gluten Free Family

Options
Just became Gluten free two months ago, have lost a total of 16 pounds. Feeling great, if you need motivation let's join together and be successful

Replies

• osz1810
    osz1810 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds good
  • gardenrose4200
    gardenrose4200 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would really like to become gluten free. And vegetarian..if not vegan. Please add me as friend. Would welcome advice on how to become gluten free and yet still tasty.
  • MackieDrew
    MackieDrew Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been eating pure gluten for protein! I've lost 15 kgs (~33 lbs) so far, feels great.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm on an all gluten diet. :wink:

But seriously, I have no medical issues hindering me from enjoying them and I've lost weight and kept it off. My sincere condolences if you're doctor has informed you that you can no longer eat gluten. I have several friends with Celiac disease and having to truly go gluten free for the rest of one's life is difficult and expensive. :-/
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    MackieDrew wrote: »
    I've been eating pure gluten for protein! I've lost 15 kgs (~33 lbs) so far, feels great.

eNEzuF4.gif
  • abear8mythumbs
    abear8mythumbs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac's and would really appreciate guidance on weight loss with this disease, given gluten free products are higher in calories.

To those sarcastic or just trolls who have been eating all gluten and losing weight, golf clap to you. I'm glad you enjoy pointing out how it sucks to have a disease that doesn't allow you easy access to foods.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Maryslim54 wrote: »
    Just became Gluten free two months ago, have lost a total of 16 pounds. Feeling great, if you need motivation let's join together and be successful

That sounds awesome for your family. I went gluten free when I cut my daily carbs to <50 grams last October and it was a game changer for me 63 at the time. Now I wish I would have known to have done it 40 years sooner before I caused so much body damage eating like that.

• DaniStrange
    DaniStrange Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac's and would really appreciate guidance on weight loss with this disease, given gluten free products are higher in calories.

To those sarcastic or just trolls who have been eating all gluten and losing weight, golf clap to you. I'm glad you enjoy pointing out how it sucks to have a disease that doesn't allow you easy access to foods.

I am right there with you, I have Celiac's as well.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Just curious, I was wondering why you think gluten free foods are higher in calories. I was searching and found these lists:

Allowed foods

Many basic foods are allowed in a gluten-free diet, including:

Fresh meats, fish and poultry that aren't breaded, batter-coated or marinated
    Fruits
    Most dairy products
    Potatoes
    Vegetables
    Wine and distilled liquors, ciders and spirits

Grains and starches allowed in a gluten-free diet include:

Amaranth
    Arrowroot
    Buckwheat
    Corn
    Cornmeal
    Gluten-free flours (rice, soy, corn, potato, bean)
    Pure corn tortillas
    Quinoa
    Rice
    Tapioca

Fortunately for bread and pasta lovers with celiac disease, an increasing number of gluten-free products are available. If you can't find any at your local bakery or grocery store, check online. There are gluten-free substitutes for many gluten-containing foods.

Seems like pretty healthy food that is nutrient dense.

Appreciate your thoughts. I'm waiting for the results of a biopsy to see if I have Celiac's.
  • HD_Cowgirl
    HD_Cowgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease as well. I have been apprehensive to going on a diet or making a lifestyle change to eat even healthier as I feel like I am already giving up so much. :'(
  • alyshalise
    alyshalise Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Just curious, I was wondering why you think gluten free foods are higher in calories. I was searching and found these lists:

Allowed foods

Many basic foods are allowed in a gluten-free diet, including:

Fresh meats, fish and poultry that aren't breaded, batter-coated or marinated
    Fruits
    Most dairy products
    Potatoes
    Vegetables
    Wine and distilled liquors, ciders and spirits

Grains and starches allowed in a gluten-free diet include:

Amaranth
    Arrowroot
    Buckwheat
    Corn
    Cornmeal
    Gluten-free flours (rice, soy, corn, potato, bean)
    Pure corn tortillas
    Quinoa
    Rice
    Tapioca

Fortunately for bread and pasta lovers with celiac disease, an increasing number of gluten-free products are available. If you can't find any at your local bakery or grocery store, check online. There are gluten-free substitutes for many gluten-containing foods.

Seems like pretty healthy food that is nutrient dense.

Appreciate your thoughts. I'm waiting for the results of a biopsy to see if I have Celiac's.

I think they mean higher calories for gluten free foods in pasta, cakes, muffins and other prepackaged foods. Which is true. I just got my diognosis last Friday for celiacs and I have been looking at the calories in gluten free foods and non gluten free products. Gluten free products that are prepackaged have double the amount of calories. And the serving sizes are also less in gluten free foods. My husband and I have been looking into it due to newly being diognosed. I'm sticking to a more natural diet, much like the one you posted above. But I think that's what was meant by the comment you're referring to.
  • alyshalise
    Options

I just got diognosed on friday last week and I've lost 9 pounds already. Granted much of it is water. Trying to going gluten free try a more natural diet. Fruits, veggies, meats but make sure the meat says gluten free and make sure the animal was grass fed. Nuts, Seeds and legumes. Just eat those things and you will be gluten free. Don't eat prepackaged foods and start working out. Good luck on your new healthy chapter.
  • alyshalise
    edited June 2015
    Options
    alyshalise wrote: »

I just got diognosed on friday last week and I've lost 9 pounds already. Granted much of it is water. Trying to going gluten free try a more natural diet. Fruits, veggies, meats but make sure the meat says gluten free and make sure the animal was grass fed. Nuts, Seeds and legumes. Just eat those things and you will be gluten free. Don't eat prepackaged foods and start working out. Good luck on your new healthy chapter.

Oh and for grains there is a list online but I don't like much of the grains mentioned other than quinoa. I love quinoa.
  • alyshalise
    Options
    alyshalise wrote: »

You check online for grains or seeds what ever.that you can eat. I just like quinoa. I think you can also have rice. Check online.
  • alyshalise
    Options
    HD_Cowgirl wrote: »
    I have celiac disease as well. I have been apprehensive to going on a diet or making a lifestyle change to eat even healthier as I feel like I am already giving up so much.

You're not giving up anything other that poor health going gluten free. I however have really awful symptoms so going gluten free for me hasn't been an issue. I've been feeling fantastic since giving up gluten. Good luck with your journey.
  • Maryslim54
    Maryslim54 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Maryslim54 wrote: »

That sounds awesome for your family. I went gluten free when I cut my daily carbs to <50 grams last October and it was a game changer for me 63 at the time. Now I wish I would have known to have done it 40 years sooner before I caused so much body damage eating like that.

• Maryslim54
    Options
    Sorry I haven't posted, great to see so much traffic. I am doing great. Found out I am lactose intolerant too. This is hard diet to stick to, but I'm baking more. Got any good recipes. I've been working on learning to convert recipes.
  • Maryslim54
    Options
    By the way through blood tests they proved I have celiac disease. It's just a label I'm not worried all I know is that after 60 year of eating wrong, I feel great eating right.