No solid food for 12 weeks!

Options
hail87666
hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
I am having my jaw broken next week which means 3 months of a near enough liquid diet. I am happy to live off soups but see my diet significantly lacking in protein - how can I boost it?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    protein shakes! duh! winning! :happy:
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The pre-mixed Muscle Milks are pretty good... i especially like the Strawberries and Cream... it's like desert. :)
  • hail87666
    Options
    Yuk disgusting things lol. Suppose I could, tried not to supplement up until now but ....*holds nose*
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

OMG, you got that from the Obama Spoof video??? love it, lol
  • bex22mcn
    bex22mcn Posts: 90
    Options
    Make your own lentil soup! Lentils = lots of protein!! my fave is 3/4 teaspoons of cumin seeds dry fried in a pan, chuck in a chopped onion, 3/4 grated carrots, veg stock cube and a cup of red lentils. pop in enough water to cover the mix and cook until lentils are tender. Whizz and enjoy! x
  • kamoi
    kamoi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Optimum brand protien powder! It can be mixed with anything, made into ice cream, has 24g of protein per serving (as much as a chicken breast of fish fillet) and can be found at you local vitamin shop. Score!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have to ask. why getting your jaw broken? And yes, Muscle Milks are AWESOME!!! And lol at protien shakes, duh, winning.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Shakeology...
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    Protein shakes for sure. Just watch your sodium content with the soups. Hopefully you can make them at home and avoid the preservatives.
  • hail87666
    Options
    Make your own lentil soup! Lentils = lots of protein!! my fave is 3/4 teaspoons of cumin seeds dry fried in a pan, chuck in a chopped onion, 3/4 grated carrots, veg stock cube and a cup of red lentils. pop in enough water to cover the mix and cook until lentils are tender. Whizz and enjoy! x

Ooooh that sounds like a soup I make, mine has red chilli and sweet potato in aswell - delish!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh.

Also remember that you don't just have to mix the protein powder with water or milk. You can make all kinds of shakes by blending in fruit, peanut butter, yogurt, etc to make them taste good.
  • hail87666
    Options
    Yeah I do make my own soups. Got given a book aswell this week to get a few more recipes.
    I'm having my top jaw widened because I have a really narrow pallett with an improper bite, my teeth won't stay in place without permanent braces and I can't close my mouth properly but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't for cosmetic reasons. I'm sick of not smiling on photographs.
    Thanks, will look out for protein powders that I can add to my soups, I don't think I could take the shakes. Tried my brother's a couple of times and they just make me gip
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    well it how i lost alot of my weight i went longer protein shakes will be your best friend! speedy recovery!!♥♥♥
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do make my own soups. Got given a book aswell this week to get a few more recipes.
    I'm having my top jaw widened because I have a really narrow pallett with an improper bite, my teeth won't stay in place without permanent braces and I can't close my mouth properly but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't for cosmetic reasons. I'm sick of not smiling on photographs.
    Thanks, will look out for protein powders that I can add to my soups, I don't think I could take the shakes. Tried my brother's a couple of times and they just make me gip

From what I've found most protein powders need to be agiated (blender or shaker) or the liquid is chalky and grainy. You can get a small personal shaker at most grocery stores or health food stores and they're pretty inexpensive. For my pre/post workout drink I'll put the following in my shaker:
    6 oz orange juice
    2 oz cold water
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 tbsp wheat germ
    1 tbsp flax seed
    1 tsp cinnamon
    It's super tasty and I don't have to fuss with the blender in the morning. You could also mix up a shake with: soy milk, protein powder, a couple of frozen bananas (or frozen fruit), and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. Soo yummy!