Eating out help needed

Options
It is my parent's golden wedding this weekend and my sisters and I have been plannign to take them out for a meal for 18 months, it has been a rollercoaster as one sister was a pain ........
Now I am on a calorie control diet and on my second day.... we are going to an Italian restaurant in margate, how do i stay on track don't want to blow it on my first week. Any suggestions how I can stay within my allowance yet still have a good time........ have looked at menu online and they don't give calories, thought I'd go with a salad but after researching equivalents in ASK it is very high in calories so am worried as want to enjoy the evening but don't want to blow all the work I will have done this week.
Any help gratefully received.....
Caroline

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If I were you, I'd just indulge myself that day and start fresh the next day.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    You might try calling or even just talking to the server to see if they have low calorie options (although a lot of low calorie options at restaurants are high in my opinion- but probably low compared to their other menu items). I also agree with the above post- one meal isn't going to derail you too much. Just don't weigh yourself the very next day and get discouraged because often restaurants are very high in sodium.
  • kcirish65
    kcirish65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat a healthy homemade salad before going to the restaurant. Order what you want, relax,eat slowly and don't try to be part of the clean plate club. Enjoy yourself
  • TSPZ
    TSPZ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Gluten free options and meaty meals as well as salads are available. Call ahead if you're not confident in the day. Steer clear of alcohol if you can. Exercise for the amount that you may have over eaten.
  • VioletteJ88
    VioletteJ88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would suggest stick with water and what I do when eating out is ask for a take home container once my food is served and automatically put half in the container. The portions at most restaurants are way too big I have an issue with clearing my plate. As far as your meal enjoy whatever you want just control your portion intake.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I will second the idea of putting half in a container before you even start eating. I've been doing that at restaurants for three years now. It allows me to order pretty whatever I like within reason and then get another good meal out of it the next day. Once half the meal is in a box and out of sight, I spread out the rest of it, and enjoy the meal and conversation without having to worry about when to stop eating. I also rarely order a dinner salad to replace a meal because I know that in restaurants the salads are often the most calorie-laden item on the menu.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I like the take out container before eating idea
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to indulge, pretty much any kitchen has chicken breast. Ask for a dry chicken breast with veggies and eat slowly. But you may just want to take a half portion (box half of your food if they don't offer this) and enjoy. If a diet consumes your life, it will become a negative thing. Lifestyle changes should always be for the positive, in my opinion!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    If I were you, I'd just indulge myself that day and start fresh the next day.

I second this. Or as many have suggested, enjoy half portions... the point is to enjoy your parents' celebration. Worry about calories the next day.
  • TeaCurls
    TeaCurls Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The half portion is a good idea. Try to stay away from fried foods such as chicken or eggplant parm and lasanga. Also any cream sauce is going to totally blow your calories. If you like spicy some italian places have shrimp diablo tends to be a healther option. It is a spicy marinara dish. Not sure what your offerings might be but seafood (not fried) tends to be our best option....
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy-- a golden anniversary, what a celebration! But if you did want to perhaps enjoy 'responsibly,' I would avoid pasta, or maybe the breadbasket. Italian food is not all baked ziti. Their might be fish, or a chicken saltamboca-style dish.
  • ramshc01
    ramshc01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I am going to enjoy the evening. Decided to weigh and log my weight this morning and change weigh day to Saturdays, that gives me all week to undo anything tonight. Lost 5 and half in 5 days as only started doing this Monday so pretty chuffed. Not going to overdo it and going to drink plenty of water before I go that way I'll feel fuller and spend most of the evening walking to and from the toilet lol......