Healthy snacks for work

Options
Came across this article and thought I would share it with you I know for me my snacks were snickers :(http://www.gettingfittogether.com/healthy-snacks-for-work-five-youre-going-to-love/#!38

Replies

• RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article. All those snacks seem heavy for me, like the hummus and pita bread. But then again I am still learning! :)
  • donna1432
    donna1432 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    actually hummus is made of chicpeas which are high in protein and the pita is whole wheat or whole grain not white so its a good snack and your welcome :)
  • Jim_Smith33
    Jim_Smith33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love hummus with celery and cucumbers. I don't need the extra calories the pita have.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    hummus is so nice but very very calorie dense

i know its chickpeas but its got a lot of oil in it too.

Also, you would never eat as many whole chick peas as you would in dip

Ive tried it.....

Still a good snack but a 300 cal serve is not big at all
  • m4n1x
    m4n1x Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For those above that really like their hummus but not the calories in the store bought tubs..

For 4 portions:

1 x 400g can chickpea, don't throw away the liquid in the tin
    1 tbsp tahini paste
    1 fat garlic clove, chopped
    3 tbsp 0% fat Greek yogurt
    lemon juice
    Pinch of salt (rock if you have it)
    Pinch Cayenne Pepper (if needed)*

Drain the chickpeas bowl to catch the liquid

Tip the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, salt and yogurt into a food processor and pulse until smooth

Whizz in a tbsp of the chickpea liquid at a time until you have a nice consistency, then scrape into a bowl

stir in a squeeze of lemon juice, caynne pepper (if you are adding it) and season to taste

*The cayenne isn't necessary, but adds a little kick and also boosts your metabolism

Each portion is only 135 cals and has 7.5g of protein.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Hummus with toasted pitta is one of my favourite lunches.

As far as 'healthy' snacks for work goes though, I prefer meat; even if it is just a 'snack bag' of chicken bites or something from the local supermarket. I try to get as much protein as possible for the smallest number of calories, as I find that protein really fills me up.