Breakfast Cereal...?

Options
johncrangle
johncrangle Posts: 16 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all. I'm after something that keeps me full until lunchtime keeping clear of sugars. Weetabix doesn't do the job, I have 3 and don't feel full. Porridge is tasteless as don't use sugars. Any advice please? I'm trying to lose belly fat and gain muscle at the same time....which is hard but working slowly.

Feel free to add to see diary, although yesterday was a bad day haha. :smiley:

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Switch from Semi Skimmed Milk to Whole Milk and keep the Weetabix perhaps.
    Or for breakfast have any of these : cottage cheese/ ricotta cheese/yogurt with fruit or slivered almonds.
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I tend to have chocolate weetabix plain is horrible.
    Plain yoghurt & fruit of your choice keeps me full & it's healthy till lunchtime
    Good Luck
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do grits with poached eggs, cheese and butter. Very fulfilling and 1/4 cup grits (before cooking) cooked in 1/2 water 1/2 milk is delicious! A little bit of cheese and butter goes a long way.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Bhlinebee wrote: »
    I do grits with poached eggs, cheese and butter. Very fulfilling and 1/4 cup grits (before cooking) cooked in 1/2 water 1/2 milk is delicious! A little bit of cheese and butter goes a long way.

I love grits. It works any time of day. :)

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I've been eating All Bran. Really helps satiate me as it has a fairly good protein content for a cereal.
  • alostkitty
    alostkitty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try pouring you porridge over chopped apples, raisins and chopped nuts and leave it a couple of minutes. It pretty much poaches the fruit and I find it really tasty even without added milk/sugar/honey. A spoonful of greek yoghurt is also great with this.
  • AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup cream of wheat (semolina) + 1/2 cup lite milk + 1 cup water, cook. Add sliced banana + granny smith apple + tsp vanilla extract = 365 calories/12g protein/70g carbs/3g fat/34g natural sugars, no added processed sugar/64g sodium).
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on whole wheat English muffin. I just rediscovered oatmeal (porridge) and like the poster above, I add dried or fresh fruit.
  • m4n1x
    m4n1x Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    How long do you have for breakfast in the morning? Do you have time to cook eggs / protein or is it the usual mad dash to get to work?
  • esmetownsend9
    esmetownsend9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups of Special K granola and natural yogurt, can add honey to sweeten if desired, also adding raisins and chopped banana bulks it up a bit, this keeps me from snacking till lunch time
  • hmparkin23
    hmparkin23 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Small slice of bread (c 25g), half an avocado (made into guacamole), and a sliced hard-boiled egg. Yum! And I can eat it at my desk when I get to work.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'd change to a higher protein and fat breakfast personally... Cereal doesn't "last" very long to me!

I have had cereal with protein shake as "milk"... Bumps up the protein and adds a different flavour
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Bacon and egg.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Whole egg omelet with veggies or all white omelet with veggies, Canadian bacon or regular bacon, with a slice of cheese.. One piece of whole grain or multi grain toast with butter or nut butter...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When you say you're keeping away from sugars do you mean just refined sugars .. are you diabetic / pre-diabetic?

for porridge I'd say add berries / banana and/or honey (but you might not wish to)

I often have egg whites, mushrooms, cheddar on white toast for breakfast which is very filling .. sometimes switch the cheddar for ham .. I only have egg whites cos I have an intolerance to the yolk

bacon and egg

omelette with mixed vegetables (I have these packs of frozen meditteranean roast veg in the freezer and they are easy to add) .. sprinkle with cheese and grill to brown .. but I have ketchup with that (so again added sugar on your elimination)

but seriously - nothing wrong with sugar
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Tea cup eggs
    Bacon and egg wraps
    Porridge with fruit puree or yoghurt
    Banana smoothie
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs
    Or some other kind of meat and eggs.
    And veggies.
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just put bit Nutella in your proddige mate and count it in your macros that's what I do tastes lovely about 10g to 15g I put it
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Add some nuts and use whole milk. Cereal never worked for me as a breakfast until I started using whole milk which is not that many more calories. I also add slivered almonds and fresh fruit.
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I find if I get a balance of carbs., protein and some fat in, then I'm good to go!

Sounds weird, but I have mixed in an egg into some oatmeal or quinoa (as I cook it) and then 'made' it sweeter with a touch of stevia, allspice/cinnamon and a splash of almond milk. Yum