Reasons for feeling completely exhausted after a moderate workout?

Options
What are some reasons that someone might feel completely exhausted after doing even a moderate workout? I'm talking so exhausted that all you can do is lay down for a couple of hours.

Sometimes, after doing only 30-60 minutes of moderate exercise, I feel incredibly fatigued... my head is pounding, I'm dizzy and nauseous, and it will take me a good 3-4 hours to feel even remotely functional again. Sometimes I have to lay down and sleep until I feel better. This can't be because I'm unfit, a year ago I was feeling great and a regular at the gym. These days I can get a workout done, but I'm definitely not feeling energized afterwards!

The only thing I think it could be is either a relapse of Glandular Fever, depression (even though I have pretty much recovered and I'm coming off my meds), or maybe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Doctors haven't been much help, all they do is check my thyroid, iron, vitamin level (all fine) and send me on my way with no answer. Any other reasons I could be feeling this way?

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Have you dropped your calories?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I'll, unfit, dehydrated, lacing nutrition, overtrained.
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've actually upped my calorie intake and improved my overall diet
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I feel this way when my iron levels are low, but you've already mentioned checking that.

Are you trying to do too much too soon? It sounds like you might have had an extended period away from the gym, so maybe you're trying to just pick up where you left off and it's a bit much at the present time?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    open your diary
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I feel this way when my iron levels are low, but you've already mentioned checking that.

Are you trying to do too much too soon? It sounds like you might have had an extended period away from the gym, so maybe you're trying to just pick up where you left off and it's a bit much at the present time?

Not doing any more than usual, but I'm certainly finding it harder to do my usual exercises!

• julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You mention you've had glandular fever. I had it in my late teens and it affected my energy levels for years afterwards. My husband also had glandular fever when he was younger and it put an end to his running career. It's not a condition to be taken lightly. Make sure you are getting good quality sleep, good nutrition and don't restrict your calories too harshly.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    A vitamin D deficiency can cause fatigue during/after a workout. I went thru a period of time where I could not recover from exhaustion after a workout. I ended up seeing an Endo (for other reasons), and my D levels were in single digits. Once I started on Vitamin D supplements, I no longer had that problem.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Mich4871 wrote: »
    A vitamin D deficiency can cause fatigue during/after a workout. I went thru a period of time where I could not recover from exhaustion after a workout. I ended up seeing an Endo (for other reasons), and my D levels were in single digits. Once I started on Vitamin D supplements, I no longer had that problem.

Same here, mine dropped when I returned to school because I wasn't outside as much and I don't eat a ton of foods enriched with it, such as milk. Once I supplemented for a few months, my energy returned and I felt like myself again. Now I make it a point to sit in the backyard with shorts and a tank on for at least 15 minutes a day. Funny how the southern California girl was lacking the sun vitamin.
  • RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I really don't think any of us are qualified to answer this question for your especially since you have had some medical issues in your history. That being said if your hydrated and not getting overheated and your general nutrition is spot on. I would really consider pushing your doctor for more help. Heat and Hydration are two things that really come to mind though. I took my kid on a hike last week and she left her water behind and she really felt a difference not having hydrated before the hike and nothing to drink during the hike.
  • 4800volts
    4800volts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Blood is 70% water. If your dehydrated less oxygen gets to your cells.
    Are you sleeping enough? Sleep I huge to recovery.
    I agree to the broscience comment. See. Different doctor. If it's not something easily seen.