Fitness tracker..Specific question

i know there are a million threads in here about fitness trackers, but I have a specific question I can't find an answer to. I work for a moving company so I have a bodymedia but it says I average 30,000 steps on days that I am standing still but packing contents (hands moving continuously all day). I'm looking at getting a more accurate tracker but am wondering is the gps tracking such as the Fitbit surge what I need? Or will it just see my hand movement as a step also? Any advice? Right now I'm pretty set on Fitbit surge or Fitbit charge hr but am open for opinions. I know they are never going to be 100 percent accurate but I'm always interested at an idea of how many miles a day I run when I'm working or calories when I'm packing

Replies

• datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2015
    Anyone?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I lost the weight & maintained for eight months with a Fitbit Flex—which doesn't even have a heart rate monitor. Then I upgraded a couple of months ago to the Charge HR.

Do not overthink your step count—it's just a metric. All that matters is the accuracy of your burn. TDEE is by definition the number of calories at which your weight will maintain, so my Fitbit burn = TDEE.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • ElizeMariette
    ElizeMariette Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm actually using an application called Move on my Android device. It's pretty accurate. It logs steps, running and cycling. When I drive it records it as transport. But that might not be what you are looking for. I would suggest a fitness tracker with a heart rate monitor. I think the Fitbit Charge HR does both.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Thank you for the response, I know that my step count isn't what is important and I do monitor my calorie burn closely, but if the Fitbit reads that I've done 30,000 steps because of flailing my arms, will I not have a much high calorie burn for the day than compared to the 15,000 steps I actually did? That's my biggest fear, thinking I'm burning 5,000-6,000 calories plus a day when I'm really burning 3,000.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    A gps will only track distance pace and altitude, not steps to get a more accurate count you need one that goes on your side, not your arm. I use a Polar V800 activity monitor for heart rate to count calories during working out and a pedometer for a program at work, most of the time they are anywhere to from 100 to 2000 steps difference. They have a less expensive Activity monitor the M400 that also has gps. What made me chose them over the fitbits are that they are water proof to 30m, The A300 (no gps) and V800 (gps) will read heart rates in water.

http://www.polar.com/us-en/products/improve_fitness/running_multisport/m400
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    If the Fitbit reads that I've done 30,000 steps because of flailing my arms, will I not have a much high calorie burn for the day than compared to the 15,000 steps I actually did? That's my biggest fear, thinking I'm burning 5,000-6,000 calories plus a day when I'm really burning 3,000.

The only way to gauge the accuracy is to trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

The algorithm is based on more than just step count. And you said you want a Charge HR or Surge—both of which have heart rate monitors. Buy one at a store near you, keep the receipt, and return it if you don't like it.

The biggest advantage Fitbit has over Polar is the social aspect. Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun. You can find friends in the Fitbit Users group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    If you just want something to track your activity for the day and be social the the fitbit is right for you, but if you work out, use cardio equipment, swim or any other water activity, the polar has the advantage all day. Gymlink works with most cardio equipment as in it adjust the level of the equipment to keep your heart rate where you want it. It also has different work out profiles that you can customize for you. Do you have a need to know your heart rate all day? I only get my heart rate when want it. IE: when I'm actually active, and not just walking to the restroom. Mine counts the calories in different categories. Working out = training, steps= activity and BMR. I don't know about the fitbit, so can't speak on those.