I don't need a scale to tell me I'm going in the right direction!!!

I do not believe in scales, I trust that my body will tell me that I'm doing good based off of the results I achieve and the way I feel :) anti scale!!

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    The scale is not the debil. ;) But people can get waaaaaay too attached to them, and tie their self esteem into what the numbers say.

I only weigh my once a week, and take my measurements once a month. That's plenty of tracking for me. In the interim, I rely on NSV's (Non Scale Victories) like being able to get into a pair of pants that were too tight a few weeks ago, to confirm that things are moving in the right direction. :)
  • elyzabethgimarc
    elyzabethgimarc Posts: 23 Member
    I just personally don't see the need for a scale that's all
  • snickerscharlie
    Then don't use one. ;)
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    I just personally don't see the need for a scale that's all

This!
  • elyzabethgimarc
    Then don't use one. ;)

I don't.. Ha
  • jacklfc88
    The amount of posts I see on here people feeling depressed because they've hardly lost any weight if any but fail to take into account everything else to do with healthy eating and lifestyle like better sleep and more energy and improved wellbeing etc etc is scary.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    ok
  • snickerscharlie
    jacklfc88 wrote: »
    The amount of posts I see on here people feeling depressed because they've hardly lost any weight if any but fail to take into account everything else to do with healthy eating and lifestyle like better sleep and more energy and improved wellbeing etc etc is scary.

But is it not better, then, that they do weigh themselves and then learn what it is they're doing wrong so that they legitimately *can* lose the weight? <scratches head>

• elyzabethgimarc

Also the number on the scale really isn't telling you anything. Doesn't tell you how healthy you are or how much fat you have, just what all your bones, blood, muscle, etc weighs (and why would I need to know that)
  • marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Scale can't measure your overall health, this is why people who are skinny fat still get diabetes and other complications. A scale is just a number. Inches lost is most important, how you feel you look. I use to be a low weight but not healthy. I'm about 8 pounds heavier but am leaner than ever before. I'm so glad I kept pushing and didn't let the scale beat me. No one has to.
  • jacklfc88
    Scale can't measure your overall health, this is why people who are skinny fat still get diabetes and other complications. A scale is just a number. Inches lost is most important, how you feel you look. I use to be a low weight but not healthy. I'm about 8 pounds heavier but am leaner than ever before. I'm so glad I kept pushing and didn't let the scale beat me. No one has to.

What's this skinny fat thing I've seen it mentioned a few times on here?

This post makes so much sense, great story! :)
  • jacklfc88

But is it not better, then, that they do weigh themselves and then learn what it is they're doing wrong so that they legitimately *can* lose the weight? <scratches head>

Well no not really. If you eat right and exercise you will lose weight, you don't have to worry about that.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Yep, scales can be a pain in the ars. But that's ok; that's life. When I was 22 I worked out everyday and lifted weighs. I was smaller than my best friend who was both taller and weighed 15 pounds less than I. So the scale is just one of many tools to measure your overall health.
  • marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member

What's this skinny fat thing I've seen it mentioned a few times on here?

This post makes so much sense, great story! :)

Skinny fat is being at a healthy "body weight" but high percentage of fat.
  • elyzabethgimarc

Well no not really. If you eat right and exercise you will lose weight, you don't have to worry about that.

Weighing yourself isn't gonna tell you what you're doing wrong or right... You can lose fat and gain muscle and still gain weight but that's not bad.
  • snickerscharlie

But most people don't automatically know what that means or how to do it properly and safely. If they did, all of the dangerous diets, cleanses and pills wouldn't gross millions of dollars every year. So it's when they weigh themselves, find out they're not losing weight and then take the time to learn that things start to turn around for them.

Like I said earlier, the scale is not the debil, it's merely a tool to use or not.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    The scale is a tool, and only one of several. Used alone, it gives me a small piece of information. Logging and trending that information gives me something more valuable. Used with a body measuring tape or calipers, I can build an even more detailed picture with more measurements and body fat calculations. Periodic photographs help give visual comparison points.

I like having that rich set of data because it gives a way to quantify the changes I see subjectively in the mirror. If I start seeing a change in the trend, I can review my journal and data and see if I should adjust my approach. The scale and other tools are a means to that end.

You can be antiscale if you like, but I prefer to be proactive.
  • elyzabethgimarc

But most people don't automatically know what that means or how to do it properly and safely. If they did, all of the dangerous diets, cleanses and pills wouldn't gross millions of dollars every year. So it's when they weigh themselves, find out they're not losing weight and then take the time to learn that things start to turn around for them.

Like I said earlier, the scale is not the debil, it's merely a tool to use or not.

Ok. Obviously you don't understand
  • snickerscharlie
    edited June 2015

Ok. Obviously you don't understand

Huh? LMAO.

I'm glad to see you've got everything so firmly figured out at 20. ;)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    everyone is different, do what works for you