Weight Loss Frustration

Options
Ugh. I just want to throw in the towel this morning and eat a whole box of doughnuts. Ugh. So I've been working out all week and almost every day hitting my 10,000 steps or more. I got on the scale this morning and I've gained like 3 lbs :neutral:
I've also always been under my calorie goal and have eaten back some of my work out points. I know that I should start measuring things out and that could be the issue but ugh! I am suppose to go weigh in today at noon at WW, I'm almost tempted not too since it would be two gains in a row.

I needed to vent.

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    hiya, you really do need to measure accurately to get the best out of this site - ive been following slimming world up to this week, and whilst it creates great food habits my portions were out of control - this week ive logged everything that passed through my lips, and measured everything too as a raw weight - ive eaten back some of my exericse cals which i earnt through a HRM. i shall let you know the outcome tomorrow!
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The more accurately you measure the better the results. It might be that guesstimating works for some but clearly it isn't for you. Weigh it, log it and remember that everything seems to overstate the calories burned in exercise.

Good luck
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    The working out could be what's doing it water retention etc. Heck I bounce around the same 5 lb range for 2 wks to a month and then woosh it's a new low.
  • Jackieboykin
    Jackieboykin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there I know how you feel - but I think and hope I've been able to overcome the need for outcome and just realize that the doughnuts are poison - Mike - you deserve to feel good and treat yourself well - that's what it's really about try to envision how you'll feel when you get the first result you're looking for - you can get there -
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I do religiously log everything I put in my mouth, but I don't measure. And obviously that's my issue this week, I hope. Thanks everyone!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I just want to throw in the towel this morning and eat a whole box of doughnuts. Ugh. So I've been working out all week and almost every day hitting my 10,000 steps or more. I got on the scale this morning and I've gained like 3 lbs :neutral:
    I've also always been under my calorie goal and have eaten back some of my work out points. I know that I should start measuring things out and that could be the issue but ugh! I am suppose to go weigh in today at noon at WW, I'm almost tempted not too since it would be two gains in a row.

I needed to vent.

I would say that is most likely your issue. Invest in a food scale (10-15$ on amazon) and weigh everything. You could be actually taking in more calories than you realize.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale/p1
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    We have a food scale at home....I guess I need to start using it...and what about measuring things out with a measuring cup?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Definitely start weighing (not measuring) your foods. But three pounds in one week is nothing to be upset about, as weight loss is not linear. It could be sodium intake if you've been high over the past couple days. It could be hormones, especially depending on where you are in your monthly cycle. It could be if you just started working out this week and your muscles need to repair themselves. For it to be three pounds of fat, you would have to eat 10,500 calories above maintenance.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    We have a food scale at home....I guess I need to start using it...and what about measuring things out with a measuring cup?

liquids should be measured in the measuring cup. They aren't as accurate for measuring solid foods.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I do religiously log everything I put in my mouth, but I don't measure. And obviously that's my issue this week, I hope. Thanks everyone!

Yeah, if you're not measuring then your logging isn't going to be accurate. However, there are other factors that will affect the scale that are aren't actual weight gain. And with the bounce you saw, obviously something else is going on :) PMS/time of month, sodium, new exercise/bumping up exercise intensity, digesting food, drank a lot of fluids before weighing, took a shower before weighing etc etc. I'd work on the measuring thing, but don't worry about the bounce-there's no way you actually have gained 3 pounds this week :)
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on the food cups - level/heaped/loose/packed down might all make a fair bit of difference. Measure in grams and you'll get a much more accurate food diary. Have the one doughnut if it's something you really want - log it - move on - next week should be a lot better for you. Plus water retention and maybe where you are in your cycle have to be taken into consideration.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale for solids. You really have no idea how accurate you're being until you start using it.

And the 3 pounds is probably water.

This is a long-term thing. You have to keep doing it and be as accurate as possible every day.
  • kalbo798
    kalbo798 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Guesstimating doesn't work. My weight loss progress changed dramatically when I stated weighing my servings. It gets me weird looks from family members but idc. It works.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm almost half tempted to stop WW because you weigh in weekly and I think that stresses me out, but I feel like I need that accountability to keep going during the week.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options

The measuring cup is for caloric liquids only. They aren't meant for dry ingredients. Since you have a food scale, do an experiment. Measure out a cup of rice with a measuring cup on the food scale. Does it match the weight on the nutrition label? I've done it. A cup of rice by weight is more like 3/4 of a cup. Those extra calories reduce your deficit. If you're off like that all day it's pretty easy to wipe out your deficit completely. It only takes seconds per meal to weigh your foods. Don't let seconds stand between you and weight loss.

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm almost half tempted to stop WW because you weigh in weekly and I think that stresses me out, but I feel like I need that accountability to keep going during the week.

Do you? I find my friends on here provide that function for me - without shelling out the cash every week to a faceless corporation that's just trying to sell me their products - but when I started here I had a LOT to lose, might be different for those that haven't. When I decide I'm at goal I'm going to count the weeks it's taken me and allow myself the subscriptions I would have otherwise paid for meetings and blow the cash on something I REALLY want instead!

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

liquids should be measured in the measuring cup. They aren't as accurate for measuring solid foods.
    I weigh liquids, too.

• emilybeaver
    Options

Do you? I find my friends on here provide that function for me - without shelling out the cash every week to a faceless corporation that's just trying to sell me their products - but when I started here I had a LOT to lose, might be different for those that haven't. When I decide I'm at goal I'm going to count the weeks it's taken me and allow myself the subscriptions I would have otherwise paid for meetings and blow the cash on something I REALLY want instead!

I think I do. Haha. I've tried doing it myself before on MFP and failed miserably. I've done WW before and lost 45lbs and did really well, and then I quit because "I thought I could do it on my own"....gained it all back. I'm dropping it down to just paying the $12 a month since I'm basically going just for the weigh in and the meetings. I'm doing everything else through this site.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US? If so, do you have an iPhone or Android? Look into the Pact app. You commit to doing healthy activities each week:

Logging your food at MFP: must log 3+ meals and/or 2 meals + snacks for 1200+ calories daily.
    Working out: 10k steps with a compatible fitness tracker, or a 30+ minute walk with a GPS app like MapMyWalk, or using the motion tracker on your phone while walking for 30+ minutes.
    Eating fruits & veggies: you submit photos of what you're having and the community votes if its a serving or not.

You set your commitments - can be light or heavy. I set to 7 days workouts, 7 days logging, and 28 fruits/veggies a week. If you do NOT keep your commitment, you pay. (You set the amount, $5-? per commitment.) If you do meet your commitments, you share in the $ from those who paid. You will not make huge money, but it adds up over time. Withdraw to Paypal. I tend to make about $.20 per workout (max of 7 per week), $.10 per day of food logging (max of 7 per week) and $.07 per fruit/veggie (max of 35 per week). Have withdrawn over $300 since Feb '14.

Anyhow, the bigger point is if you set a commitment and you don't meet it: you pay. This is a huge motivator to me, as I do NOT want to pay. And that was the reasoning behind the app I think. People do not want to pay, so they'll honor their commitments.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US? If so, do you have an iPhone or Android? Look into the Pact app. You commit to doing healthy activities each week:

Logging your food at MFP: must log 3+ meals and/or 2 meals + snacks for 1200+ calories daily.
    Working out: 10k steps with a compatible fitness tracker, or a 30+ minute walk with a GPS app like MapMyWalk, or using the motion tracker on your phone while walking for 30+ minutes.
    Eating fruits & veggies: you submit photos of what you're having and the community votes if its a serving or not.

You set your commitments - can be light or heavy. I set to 7 days workouts, 7 days logging, and 28 fruits/veggies a week. If you do NOT keep your commitment, you pay. (You set the amount, $5-? per commitment.) If you do meet your commitments, you share in the $ from those who paid. You will not make huge money, but it adds up over time. Withdraw to Paypal. I tend to make about $.20 per workout (max of 7 per week), $.10 per day of food logging (max of 7 per week) and $.07 per fruit/veggie (max of 35 per week). Have withdrawn over $300 since Feb '14.

Anyhow, the bigger point is if you set a commitment and you don't meet it: you pay. This is a huge motivator to me, as I do NOT want to pay. And that was the reasoning behind the app I think. People do not want to pay, so they'll honor their commitments.

Ooh, I've never done Pact.

Another option is Achievemint, where you earn points for pretty much the same things (weighing in, exercising, logging your food and water) and also for social media posts with certain topics/hashtags. And when you reach 50,000 points, they'll give you a $50 gift card.