Any tips on getting a more ripped sixpack/abs?

Options
m4n1x
m4n1x Posts: 65 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm a fairly average guy, I fit my exercise in and around work and family. I incorporate 12 to 20 km of walking every day into my commute and cram in a run or two in the evenings and weekends where possible.

Although I have lost about 3 stone so far,I am working towards the clichéd six pack body and wondered who else is on this journey and if there were some hints/tricks/tips/exercises that have helped?

all suggestions are welcome as well as general chat about the challenges of striving for a sixpack

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
  • elyzabethgimarc
    elyzabethgimarc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen" idk who said it but it's true, a lot of it has to do with how you eat :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Having abs is just about losing enough body fat for them to be visible. .... That said, I'd consider taking up some form of resistance training to help you maintain muscle, even consider trying to build some so you don't just end up a skinny guy who just has abs because he's skinny.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    P90x!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Having abs is just about losing enough body fat for them to be visible. .... That said, I'd consider taking up some form of resistance training to help you maintain muscle, even consider trying to build some so you don't just end up a skinny guy who just has abs because he's skinny.

all of this!
  • m4n1x
    Options
    Ok, so I didn't mention that I do already weight training 3-5 times a week and bench around 110lbs+

• m4n1x
    Options
    I was just looking for new exercises, routines or things people have found helpful
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    m4n1x wrote: »
    Ok, so I didn't mention that I do already weight training 3-5 times a week and bench around 110lbs+

then you just need to be more patient
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

So much this. It’s all about removing the layer of fat on top of the abdominal muscles.

OP, what kind of weight training do you do? A progressive lifting program is always a good idea. I hope you’re not ignoring your lower body. The bench press is great, but squats engage and strengthen your core.
  • Chainotthetea
    Chainotthetea Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells will give you a strong core, and the abs in the kitchen thing is right on the money.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    m4n1x wrote: »
    I was just looking for new exercises, routines or things people have found helpful

Calorie deficit and lifting are all you need. You can't spot reduce, so you just have to be patient while you lose.
  • m4n1x
    Options
    Kettlebells will give you a strong core, and the abs in the kitchen thing is right on the money.

Always been intrigued by kettle bell training.. So you think it's worth it?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    eat well.