Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

IIFYM and Breastfeeding

So confused!! Any help would be appreciated. I'm nursing my 9 month old son, and trying to lose this pesky weight. I'm about about 15 pounds from goal weight, and have completely stalled. I've tried literally everything, Whole 30, low carb, crazy calorie restriction, but I need to do this safely. My goal is to continue nursing until my little one is about 18 months, but don't want to hold on to this weight until then. I've looked into IIFYM because I love how well-rounded and sustainable it is. Confusing, yes, but I think I could get the hang of this.
My main question is this: my carbs and protein seem crazy high, and am wondering if the numbers I got were correct.
Here are my stats:
5'6.5, 167lbs Goal weight-150

IIFYM.com gave me these stats for macros:
Carbs- 243
Fat-43
Protein- 143

I'm just so lost, and I know that breastfeeding makes it even more complicated, but any help is so greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!!

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    What did you enter for your activity level and deficit?
    I think the number for fats seems possibly a little low for what IIFYM would normally spit out. It looks like you have it dialed for 1931 calories?
    Usually IIFYM recommends fairly high amounts of protein to try to preserver lean body mass while losing weight.
  • FinallyFitMommy
    FinallyFitMommy Posts: 38 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    I think the number for fats seems possibly a little low for what IIFYM would normally spit out. It looks like you have it dialed for 1931 calories?
    Usually IIFYM recommends fairly high amounts of protein to try to preserver lean body mass while losing weight.
    TDEE-20% for activity level, it's set to working out 5 days a week. I'm a nanny and try to work out 6 days a week, but 5 days is more accurate.
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Not sure if this is helpful or not, but my body held onto every single pound it could until I was done breastfeeding...my doc said it was my body's way of making sure I had everything needed to produce breastmilk....

As soon as I was done breastfeeding the weight came off...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    TDEE-20% for activity level, it's set to working out 5 days a week. I'm a nanny and try to work out 6 days a week, but 5 days is more accurate.
    I'd probably go with the 15% (suggested). I know all about wanting to losing weight in hurry, but I'm assuming you don't want your body to stop producing milk - in fact, if you see a pediatrician, I'd ask them what recommendations they have in terms of how much deficit you can do without affecting your milk supply.
    The carb recommendation isn't terribly high, particularly if you're going to shoot to get the fiber recommendations it makes. The simple thing is fat grams X 9 + protein grams X 4 + carb grams X 4 = total calories. So after accounting for recommended minimum fat and protein, IIFYM dumps the rest of the calories in to carbs. You might be alright dialing protein back down towards 95 grams depending on what your actual lean body mass is. The thing is, anything that doesn't go to protein is going to either upping fat or carbs (again IIFYM will default add it to carbs). Beyond getting your protein levels in, you can generally divide between fat and carbs as you want, so long as the calories remain the same.