Unwanted Gains?

Hello! I've been working out consistently and following a strength and cardio regime for over 2 months now. In the first 3 weeks I lost 5 pounds, but I've plateaued again. I mix it up every week, keep a calorie deficit, watch my sugar intake and have cut back on gluten. I've gained weight. Could this possibly be muscle? I'm beginning to look more tone. How can one find a balance between shedding fat, gaining muscle, and the dreaded number on the scale?

Replies

• elyzabethgimarc
    elyzabethgimarc Posts: 23 Member
    It's more than likely muscle if you see a noticeably difference, but I don't know enough about finding the balance to give any advice on that one, but good job on your gains and good luck finding your balance :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited June 2015
    No, it isn't muscle.

Most likely, it's normal fluctuations.

You're almost certainly not going to gain muscle and shed fat at the same time.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    It's more than likely muscle if you see a noticeably difference, but I don't know enough about finding the balance to give any advice on that one, but good job on your gains and good luck finding your balance :)

Other than newbie gains when you first start lifting, it is impossible to gain muscle in a calorie deficit.

OP, how are you measuring your calorie intake? How are you measuring your calories burned, and how much of those do you eat back?
  • elyzabethgimarc
    No, it isn't muscle.

Wait? how you can not gain muscle and shred fat at the same time? Because can't you do strengthening excersizes along with cardio? That's what I've always been told anyway (sincerely confused now)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    No, it isn't muscle.

Wait? how you can not gain muscle and shred fat at the same time? Because can't you do strengthening excersizes along with cardio? That's what I've always been told anyway (sincerely confused now)
    Because it takes a caloric surplus to gain muscle and a caloric deficit to lose fat.

There are some specific exceptions but, generally, you do either/or not both.

• elyzabethgimarc
    No, it isn't muscle.

Because it takes a caloric surplus to gain muscle and a caloric deficit to lose fat.

There are some specific exceptions but, generally, you do either/or not both.

Makes sense, thanks!!! :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    No, it isn't muscle.

In order to gain muscle, you need a calorie surplus. And even then, gains for women are incredibly hard to do. You can gain strength in a calorie deficit while strength training (which also helps you retain your muscles), but muscles will not grow.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

Seeing muscle definition does not mean muscle mass is increasing. You can be dropping body fat which will show muscle definition more.