trying to loose weight with an ileostomy.

Options
Had colon cancer. Now have a bag. It's hard to eat like you should. A lot of food does not digest.

Replies

• itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You may want to discuss some diet options with a registered dietician who specializes in ostomies. Your doc should be able to refer you. I hope you're able to get some answers. Good luck!
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    +1 for the advice to see a dietician who specializes in ostomies. How long have you had the bag? I had a relative that had one, and it can take some time to figure out what foods work and which ones you should totally avoid. You may want to focus more on the first part of digestion - chewing. Most of us blindly put stuff in our mouth, give a few chomps, and then swallow. You may find foods digest better in your GI tract and come through the ileostomy more easily if you chew more before swallowing to get the digestive process started. Make sure you're consuming enough fluids too. I seem to recall the only food my relative had to limit was cheese. Otherwise it was a normal diet with all kinds of different foods. Hang in there!