how do you count carbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I haven't been adament about exercise. And don't do it all the time. And my doctor suggested I cut down or count my carbs. But she didn't really explain how to do it.

Is your doctor a certified nutritionist or dietician? (I can never remember which one does what).

Did the dr. explain why to cut carbs?

I'm a double diabetic (both type 1 and type 2) and I count carbs in order to calculate insulin doses. For my purposes, I only care about the carbs that are digested and converted to glucose. Here is the formula I use:

Total Carbs - Fiber - 0.5 x Sugar Alcohols = Net Carbs

Example:
    If a food has 30g of total carbs, 6 g of fiber and 2 grams of sugar alcohol; it would be 23g of net carbs:
    30 - 6 - 0.5 x 2 =
    30 - 6 - 1 =

**That may or may not be appropriate for you and your purpose for cutting carbs (which is still unclear).

I told her I was worried about getting diabetes and she suggested cutting carbs to avoid getting diabetes.

the best way to avoid diabetes is to maintain a healthy weight and get in some form of exercise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm trying to limit my carbs to live weight and avoid getting diabetes when I get older. How do I go about doing that?

Eat fiber and protein with your carbs and your blood glucose levels will stay more level.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Lone post of the day - since the MFP Chief Moderator has decided that insulting myself (by calling myself a monkey in another post) is grounds for Forum Jail.

Real facts from a real site.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/

Highlights:

Myth: If you are overweight or obese, you will eventually develop type 2 diabetes

Fact: Being overweight is a risk factor for developing this disease, but other risk factors such as family history, ethnicity and age also play a role. Unfortunately, too many people disregard the other risk factors for diabetes and think that weight is the only risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight.

Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: The answer is not so simple. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors.

Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks.

These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

See for yourself:
    Just one 12-ounce can of regular soda has about 150 calories and 40 grams of carbohydrate. This is the same amount of carbohydrate in 10 teaspoons of sugar!

One cup of fruit punch and other sugary fruit drinks have about 100 calories (or more) and 30 grams of carbohydrate.

You don't know why you are behind bars?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I haven't been adament about exercise. And don't do it all the time. And my doctor suggested I cut down or count my carbs. But she didn't really explain how to do it.

Is your doctor a certified nutritionist or dietician? (I can never remember which one does what).

Did the dr. explain why to cut carbs?

I'm a double diabetic (both type 1 and type 2) and I count carbs in order to calculate insulin doses. For my purposes, I only care about the carbs that are digested and converted to glucose. Here is the formula I use:

Total Carbs - Fiber - 0.5 x Sugar Alcohols = Net Carbs

Example:
    If a food has 30g of total carbs, 6 g of fiber and 2 grams of sugar alcohol; it would be 23g of net carbs:
    30 - 6 - 0.5 x 2 =
    30 - 6 - 1 =

**That may or may not be appropriate for you and your purpose for cutting carbs (which is still unclear).

I told her I was worried about getting diabetes and she suggested cutting carbs to avoid getting diabetes.

I will be blunt: You should switch to a competent doctor.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    my doctor diagnosed me as insulin resistant, so recommended the low carb plan. high fat and high protein. I was able to lose all my weight using that plan. he told me around 50 carbs per day. no sugar or sugar subs except stevia/truvia. no vegetables grown underground (potatoes, carrots, beets, etc). any other vegetables as I want. any meat, dairy, 1 avocado per day, 2 eggs per day, 1 fruit per day, and whole grains are ok as well. that's the basics. there is a good website "authoritynutrition" that is a very good outline if you're interested. it's been very do-able for maintenance as well. this is the first time I never plateau'd on a diet ever. and in setting your macros for the diary, you can do a custom goal and set your own percentages. I did and didn't have to pay for MFP to do so. good luck on your journey.
  • minibagz1203
    minibagz1203 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well thank you everyone for the advice. And I might have misunderstood her. I was prolly on a one thought track that day against carbs.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Just going to point out that "challenging" mods on the forums is against community guidelines.

And why in the blue youknowwhat was ThatLadyFromMN's post flagged as spam?
  • minibagz1203
    minibagz1203 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was clicked the three dots to see what they were and I must have accidentally pushed spam with my thumb. My phone likes to cause trouble sometimes.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you would like to cut some of the carbs out of your diet, replace some of your bread with lettuce wraps, you can also make wraps with cauliflower, it's a lot of work but they are taste really good, you can also make pizza crust with cauliflower. Replace some of your pasta with zucchini zoodles (just zucchini slices thin) or spaghetti squash. Just google some recipes you can find tons of ideas. See how I said some of your carbs, you need carbs, and it's really unrealistic to try to cut them out all together. If you are active and eat right you should be fine. Good luck on your journey
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Real facts from a real site.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/

Highlights:

Myth: If you are overweight or obese, you will eventually develop type 2 diabetes

Fact: Being overweight is a risk factor for developing this disease, but other risk factors such as family history, ethnicity and age also play a role. Unfortunately, too many people disregard the other risk factors for diabetes and think that weight is the only risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight.

Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: The answer is not so simple. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors.

Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda

fruit punch

fruit drinks

energy drinks

sports drinks

sweet tea

other sugary drinks.

These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

See for yourself:

Just one 12-ounce can of regular soda has about 150 calories and 40 grams of carbohydrate. This is the same amount of carbohydrate in 10 teaspoons of sugar!

One cup of fruit punch and other sugary fruit drinks have about 100 calories (or more) and 30 grams of carbohydrate.