Week 1 and terrified of every food ! Help

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe view dieting as surfing. Every day you ride the wave of hunger and food choices. Some days you nail it, sometimes the wave crashes over. But every day is a new wave and a new opportunity to get better at this.

Since MFP is great for calorie counting and all you have to concern yourself is keeping near your calorie goal for the day, try loosening up on your food choices and concentrate on the measuring, so you know exactly what a portion of cereal looks like, and so on.
  • laurac48
    laurac48 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for that very useful info and advice , my cals per day are 1200 , I've stuck to this if not less it's just I miss normal dinners eg mashed potato , meat etc , I've been doing it wrong it seems so I'll start tomorrow with my usual foods minus most of the calories , and much smaller portions , I just find I'm worried to eat anything now without checking online what the calories are , then wondering if it's accurate lol thanks again , I'll batch cook for the weekend ahead and hope for the best
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hey, what you were doing was likely working very well to help you lose weight, except for the stress part. If you are worried about the calories, measure and log beforehand.
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Try not to stress about it so much. Learn as you go and make little adjustments here and there. It takes a good amount of time to get the hang of it. But you'll get there!

I'm also at 1200 and can tell you that working out means you get to eat more! 1200 should be your NET. So if you burn 400 calories in exercise, you get to eat a total of 1600 for the day. That really helps me male healthy choices and helps me prioritize the gym on lazy days. Hope that helps some. Good luck!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I would be sort of scared of everything. It's all new, there is no routine or pattern or flow yet to how to log. What I did was sort of look at other people's diaries for ideas as well as create something for breakfast and stick to that everyday for a bit (so I didn't have anxiety about what to eat). Then I focused on a couple lunches and dinners. I ate a mix up of all the things for the first bit while I learned how to log, figure out what types of foods to eat for myself, and to see where all my calories were going (too much first half a day then I'd overeat). I took the first few weeks as practice and wasn't logging so much accurately as I was focused on just doing it to establish a daily pattern. I am now on day 52! :)

Feel free to add me, take a look at my food diary (I can't have wheat, lactose and a variety of other things however).

And last by not least...what are your objectives? My first aim was to learn to not emotionally eat, and learn how to eat to fuel my body (establish healthier routines/choices) and not feel sick all the time. The second was lose weight. I knew I couldn't lose weight long term if I didn't change my first issues. I started by not being too hard at myself and logged what I ate.

Compare now to 52 days ago? My calorie counts for the first two weeks I didn't care. They are all higher, and then you can see when it drops a bit because I found what works for me (to eat, when, how to log). Don't put too much pressure on yourself in the first few weeks. Focus on consistency :)
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The other thing I did was not put my deficit too high for the day. I knew I would not be able to do that cold turkey. I have mine set for my weight/height at 1 lb per week (65 lbs to lose) so am about 1400 calories a day.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    This is a fun body type quiz to help you as well

As so many have encouraged you to do, make wise nutritious food choices to fuel your body at the right calorie level.

It will work!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm
  • laurac48
    laurac48 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Again thank u all so much , I feel quite confident that I'm in the no turning back zone now thank god ! Walking 3 times a week for starters and was just worried I might eat something I thought was low but wasn't and after this week I'd be soooo disappointed if I don't loose when I do my weekly weigh in , fingers crossed I'll be down in Tuesday then I'll really get my mojo and will keep going till I'm at goal , thanks all , any easy recipes most welcome
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    This is a fun body type quiz to help you as well

As so many have encouraged you to do, make wise nutritious food choices to fuel your body at the right calorie level.

It will work!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

Are there any experts around who can weigh in on this? I don't have the MFP clout yet.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    meal tetris

"Meal tetris"?

Love it!!! :smiley: Thanks for that new term.