Back on Fitness Pal! Hi everyone.

Options
mlapointe88
mlapointe88 Posts: 6 Member
edited June 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone - I'm Melanie and I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada. I've been using myfitnesspal on and off since 2011. I used to weigh about 165 lbs and 3 years ago, through dieting alone (more so clean eating and a lifestyle change), I was able to get my weight down to 130 lbs. Of course, I plateaued at 130 lbs, rarely going down to 125 lbs or up to 135 lbs but I was happy. I could of definitely toned a bit more but hey, when you've spent majority of the past decade being uncomfortable in your own skin, being able to shrink was good enough at the time!

I do attribute my last 10 pounds to myfitnesspal. I was dedicated and logged everything I ate and drank. Keep in mind, I didn't do much rigorous exercising, I just watched what I ate. It gave me the ability to track what I was eating and track my weight, I was able to stay invested. I ate a lot of grilled chicken, fruits and vegetables and soon enough I didn't crave the 'crap' food anymore. I craved honeydew, bell peppers, green beans, salmon, spinach salads, etc. It was easy to stay healthy and didn't take much work on my part after awhile. Hell, gaining weight in that situation wasn't easy - and I loved it.

I'm a firm believer that if you keep a routine, cut out food that is bad for you and start eating healthy foods (whether or not you truly enjoy it in the beginning), all you will crave is the healthy food and it will be easy to forget about all the fast food, chocolate, candy, etc. I know... that's a lot to think about. Now when I try to eat green beans, I'm disgusted, but I used to CRAVE them for dinner with grilled chicken. So. weird.

Anyways the first time around I managed to take off the weight with ease. Once I had gotten my weight down, I became more physically active (sports, hikes and so forth) which only added to a great situation. Alas, I no longer find it easy to be that healthy person I used to be.

Over a year ago I moved out with my boyfriend and of course since then I have gained 15 lbs. I am now 145 lbs and having a hard time dropping that weight. I go to the gym every once in awhile, I do the Grouse Grind (I know, not enough exercise to really make a difference) once a week but I think my biggest problem is what I'm eating. My diet is *kitten*! I need to make a LIFESTYLE change and get back to 'me'. However, my boyfriend's metabolism is through the roof and some of my friends are quite lazy and although I have my own motivation, it's hard to always stay motivated to lose weight when you're doing it by yourself and no one else shares the same zest for a healthy and active life. Which is where you all come in!

I would love to connect with you guys and maybe really utilize myfitnesspal even better than before, and get some friends on here...

So hi, I'm Melanie.. and that's my story :)

Replies

• dangergirlnga
    dangergirlnga Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Melanie, I have many of the same issues with food -- my husband's metabolism had just barely started catching up with all the food he eats (& he's gotta have pizza at least once a week), & socializing with friends always centers around drinking & dinner or brunch.

Some days it's more than my will power can handle, but having been an athlete all my life until a major back injury 2 years ago, I know I'm happier when I'm fueling & burning right! I'm looking to lose 15 by the end of summer, but more interested in losing inches than lbs. So let's help motivate each other along!
  • mlapointe88
    mlapointe88 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi Dangergirlnga. Thanks for the reply! I feel your pain. My friends like to kick back and have a good time on the weekends so there's no way they're physically exerting themselves. I like to have a good time too, but I like to work for it! Besides, sometimes it's good not to have an alcoholic drink and have a refreshing weekend of outdoors activities, salads and water! Almost like hitting a restart button (sort of).

My boyfriend's diet consists of pizza, burgers, pasta (basically all the good stuff that would make me balloon up) so it is kind of hard to escape. I was under the impression that when you have a life with someone, you end up eating the same foods for dinner but I am quickly learning that just because you have a life with someone does not mean you're going to be in sync. I have to watch what I eat and prepare healthy meals for myself and let him prepare his own. He also needs a lot more food than me (obviously). Sometimes, we will share salads and grilled chicken which is nice but it doesn't happen often! We're a work in progress :)

And I agree, although I do have pounds to lose (fat!), inches are more important. I would also like to tone up, but I would like to lose a bit of weight before starting so I can see the progress better. 15 pounds shouldn't be too hard.... right?! So far I am doing the Grouse Grind once a week and I have a gym membership that allows me to join pilates, cardio, resistance type classes so I should probably be utilizing these great benefits.

Good-luck to you! And keep in touch :)