Protein intake

Options
Help! How much protein is enough and how do u figure it?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    There's no hard and fast rule - If you get somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.6-0.8 grams per pound of weight you'll be in the right ballpark
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    A cool quiz

It is just another resource.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm
  • KAWittler1970
    KAWittler1970 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks i keep getting told to increase it but no one ever says how much.
  • KAWittler1970
    KAWittler1970 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also got told increasing my protein would decrease cravings. Having a hard time walking away from the chocolate especially when i am tired.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    I also got told increasing my protein would decrease cravings. Having a hard time walking away from the chocolate especially when i am tired.

It might...protein tends to be more satiating (makes you feel more full) than a similar amount of carbs as a general rule. But it's not a guarantee.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

That's a huge assumption that is common place about protein. It can blunt your appetite and mostly I try (when my diet is on track) to combine protein with lot's of vegetables. That combination works for me.

Why walk away from chocolate? Don't deprive yourself and try to fit it into calories. Plus if your tired and this is at night give some thought to meal prepping in advance so all you have to do is simply heat it up.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    75-100 g is plenty for just about anyone.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Technically I think its based on your weight and activity level. You take your weight and divide it by 2.2 and then multiply it by .8 (not active) or 1.3 (active) or 1.8 (body building) and that is how many grams you should be eating.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

False
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

No... that is a pretty dumb thing to say.

You are completely forgetting that macronutrients are RELATIVE to the person.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats like nuts or avocados will also help decrease the cravings. High fiber carbohydrate choices help. Vegetables are low in calories and can help with the cravings and provide a bit of extra protein.
  • Bshmerlie
    Options
    Maybe she should have said for the AVERAGE person. I personally eat about 140-160 per day. Sometimes I dip slightly below 100 but not often. I now consider myself an active person and since I've added lifting weights I started upping my protein intake.
  • sullus
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

False

My recommendation is significantly higher than the CDC's recommendation. (54 g for my weight)

The common formula is .8 g per kilogram of body weight. If you're starting with your bodyweight in pounds, multiply body weight by .36, and that's your protein requirement in grams.

I weigh 234 ... 234 * .36 = 84 grams of protein. I run, I lift, and I have no issues.
  • sullus
    Options

No... that is a pretty dumb thing to say.

You are completely forgetting that macronutrients are RELATIVE to the person.

That's why I gave a RANGE and used words like JUST ABOUT. so now we've apparently both said pretty dumb things.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

False

My recommendation is significantly higher than the CDC's recommendation. (54 g for my weight)

The common formula is .8 g per kilogram of body weight. If you're starting with your bodyweight in pounds, multiply body weight by .36, and that's your protein requirement in grams.

I weigh 234 ... 234 * .36 = 84 grams of protein. I run, I lift, and I have no issues.

It's .6-.8 per pound, I believe. Not kilograms.
  • Bshmerlie
    Options
    We all need to stop using rude or negative words when we disagree with someone's opinion. Lets all be a little more respectful. Words like dumb or stupid need to be removed from our vocabulary.
  • sullus
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

False

It's .6-.8 per pound, I believe. Not kilograms.

.8 per KG came from: Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients) (2002); Food and Nutrition Board (FNB), Institute of Medicine (IOM) (www.nap.edu/books/0309085373.html).