Lost inches but not weight?

Options
I've been logging on here for a week straight now, but have been eating good and working out for a few weeks. I have had people say the noticed I look smaller, and I've noticed my *kitten* looser but I haven't lost any weight. I actually gained a pound :disappointed: Anyone experience this before they start shedding the pounds? I'm feeling really discouraged, thinking maybe I'm not doing something right...

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Pretty common. When adding in a new or adjusting a current workout regimen, the body will retain water for muscle repair. Once the body has adjusted the water will flush and the scale will go down.

This is why many track with a tape measure as well.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches (meaning getting smaller, shrinking in size) why would what the scale says even matter?
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I went to quote you and ask you what the starred-out word was, just out of curiosity. It wasn't blocked out when I went to quote it, so now it know it said something that sounds like "schmidt's" ... So, your "schmidt's looser." I'm hoping you meant your clothes, lol

• msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you're only a week into your new diet and exercise regimen, it could very well be water retention. When you change what you eat and exercise in a way that you're not accustomed to doing, your body needs to adapt, and it does this by first holding onto water in its system - you know, just in case kinda thing. Keep at it, and soon your body will find a better equilibrium and lose that water.

Also, don't be too surprised if a similar trend continues - losing inches but not weight. That's also because muscle is denser than fat and will weigh more. But if you're losing inches, that means you are losing fat as well! And the muscle you're gaining just offsets that weightloss. This is why it's important to not just track the number on the scale, but also why tape measures are great to have. Keep it up! You're on the right track!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches (meaning getting smaller, shrinking in size) why would what the scale says even matter?
    This.

Inches lost > pounds lost. The only person who sees the number on the scale is you (and hopefully your doctor). Everyone else sees your size. I realize that our society places a lot of emphasis on that scale number and that it's one of the easiest and most obvious ways for a person to measure "progress". The number gets smaller, progress is being made, QED. There are TV shows built around people trying to make that number go as low as possible in the fastest amount of time. I abhor those shows. I think they've done at least as much to distort people's perceptions of what weight loss should be about as the diet industry has. I believe that another measure of progress is when one realizes that the scale number shouldn't be the only goal or even the most important one.

Weight loss is not linear. You need to wrap your head around that concept. Some days it's going to go up, especially as you get closer to your goal. If that number is such a big deal to you, find another measurement without as much variability and volatility and use that instead.
  • shopy247
    shopy247 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have cut down on what I eat and haven't snacked and been really good and exercised every day for the last four weeks but only according to the scales lost about three or for pound. But my waist has got smaller and my trousers much looser! So I hope I am doing something right!
  • Korriinn
    Korriinn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Korriinn wrote: »
    I've been logging on here for a week straight now, but have been eating good and working out for a few weeks. I have had people say the noticed I look smaller, and I've noticed my *kitten* looser but I haven't lost any weight. I actually gained a pound :disappointed: Anyone experience this before they start shedding the pounds? I'm feeling really discouraged, thinking maybe I'm not doing something right...

I MEANT SHIRT I HAVE NO CLUE WHY IT IS BLEAPED OUT
  • Korriinn
    Korriinn Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Because I want to know I am loosing weight, I want the scale to go down for health reasons too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Because I want to know I am loosing weight, I want the scale to go down for health reasons too.

Just because you're losing weight doesn't necessarily mean much in the sense of your health. You could just be losing water. I lose several pounds every time I run. Obviously, those pounds lost are not fat, they are water, lost through sweat and breathing. I gain those pounds right back as soon as I drink a couple glasses of water.

Inches lost are better than the scale moving downwards. Always.
  • glortard
    glortard Posts: 67 Member
    Options

If you are working out you will notice you have more energy as the weeks go on = healthier