Why do some people at the gym always look the same?

Options

Replies

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Some people just maintain or exercise for health reasons. I'm not loosing weight for looks but rather health reasons.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    The term "spinning their wheels" comes to mind.

This OP
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I wonder the same thing sometimes. Or they gain weight while working out everyday.

Maybe they are on medication that causes weight gain (most psychiatric medications, corticosteroids, birth control) or have a medical condition. It's really none of your *kitten* business.

It's not my business, so I don't ask, but I can wonder about anything I please. Someone obviously is taking this thread too personally. Reflect on that.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, a lot of the gains people have are hidden under clothes. Unless I pull up my sleeves and flex for you, you'll never see that i've actually developed some baby muscles since joining the gym :) As others said though, it can be for health reasons. And for those that are working out to improve their body/appearance, it can take a long time to actually see differences in people. Often alot longer than a year.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same thing sometimes. Or they gain weight while working out everyday.

Maybe they are on medication that causes weight gain (most psychiatric medications, corticosteroids, birth control) or have a medical condition. It's really none of your *kitten* business.

keep-calm-and-pray-to-jebus.png
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been on my 'lifestyle change' with reasonable goals and all for about 5 years. I am either to same or fatter than I was when I started. I'll do really good for months and then it will only take one week of bad to bring me right back to where I was at the beginning. Four months of steady losing and looking 'ok', one week of bad and I gain it all back.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    The term "spinning their wheels" comes to mind.

This more than likely. They don't train with the intent of progression.
  • asimonep
    asimonep Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I work out so I can eat whatever I want, not to look different. If I stop working out, I'll gain weight.
  • Shandajh
    Shandajh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Why do you care?

It's human nature to be curious about things?

I never thought about it before...I'm going back to my term time gym in September, it'll be interesting to see who's progressed and who hasn't after reading this!

that is exactly right - people are naturally curious and that's totally ok. I'm surprised to come across the ones who aren't. We're not hurting any specific person's feelings to be curious or ask these things.

• yopeeps025
    Options

Why you so butthurt?
  • the_big_johnson
    the_big_johnson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Because they are always their with a group and complete all of 2 working sets per night. Or because they lift the same exact lifts every week, same weight, same form, same diet. Creatures of habit we are.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad. I've been trying to pull myself away from the "bet this looks funny when the fat chick is doing it" mentality.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Typical d-bag bro thinking. You've lost a couple pounds and gotten abs and you're wondering why everyone doesn't just do the same thing. Because, you know, losing 50-100lbs or more is going to be just as easy as 5 right? And then there's the people that have changed but haven't changed enough for your standards. I've lost 135lbs. But I'm still 230lbs. Probably don't look different enough for you though so obviously my time in the gym has been a waste.

OP has nothing to do with you. Yet you are also butthurt?
  • the_big_johnson
    Options

He's asking in an open forum for responses on why the fatties at his gym never get any skinnier. And before we start trying to softball this one into a "well he never said anything about fatties" he wouldn't be asking this question if he was seeing ripped fit looking people. The question here is pretty crystal clear and he's a d-bag for asking it.

Nobody here said anything about fat people. As a guy, I look at other guys who gain no size as having no gains. Gains can be good man. Stop being a victim, life is hard enough. Chill.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, a lot of the gains people have are hidden under clothes. Unless I pull up my sleeves and flex for you, you'll never see that i've actually developed some baby muscles since joining the gym :) As others said though, it can be for health reasons. And for those that are working out to improve their body/appearance, it can take a long time to actually see differences in people. Often alot longer than a year.

This so much. It happened to me at work though. And if you don't have a lot to lose, you might not change your clothes as well because they still technically fit. I wore a lot of ill-fitting pants before I went and bought things that actually fit and showed progress.
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This post makes me sad. I've been trying to pull myself away from the "bet this looks funny when the fat chick is doing it" mentality.

@Angelfire365 don't let this post discourage you! There are always those who judge us in life, loudly or quietly, wherever we are, for a variety of reasons. Truthfully, most people at the gym ARE focused on what they are doing and not what others are doing/what others look like and, in my experience, are silently cheering each other on :) You do you. Do what you want/need to do for yourself and don't sweat what others may or may not be thinking about you!

Edited to add: I agree with the above posters who have mentioned that not all progress is visible and not everyone has the same goals at the gym. Also, I'm a person who hasn't quite gotten the long-term consistency piece down yet. I'll get to my goal weight then slowly gain it back then slowly lose it again. If you saw me a year ago, you would think I look the same but in that time I gained and lost 15 pounds.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Typical d-bag bro thinking. You've lost a couple pounds and gotten abs and you're wondering why everyone doesn't just do the same thing. Because, you know, losing 50-100lbs or more is going to be just as easy as 5 right? And then there's the people that have changed but haven't changed enough for your standards. I've lost 135lbs. But I'm still 230lbs. Probably don't look different enough for you though so obviously my time in the gym has been a waste.

OP has nothing to do with you. Yet you are also butthurt?

He's asking in an open forum for responses on why the fatties at his gym never get any skinnier. And before we start trying to softball this one into a "well he never said anything about fatties" he wouldn't be asking this question if he was seeing ripped fit looking people. The question here is pretty crystal clear and he's a d-bag for asking it.

Interesting way to interpret the OP. You want to hear what I was thinking.

I was thinking more on the well these people have never changed there workouts. They do the same things. No progression at all. That can be a byproduct to not having body composition change. He never mention body type in the OP at all but you are implying that right?

I know exactly what OP is talking about seeing how I too have gone to my same gym for years. I can see who progresses in there workouts. Who workouts well and has a poor diet. Who has no idea how they should progress. Then I see the guy who have went on bulk phases and lift major weight from where they started. Does that make me a d bag for being aware of people I see sometimes more than I see some of my family members?
  • the_big_johnson
    Options
    I think men and women have different ideas on gains. So guys are seeming to be douche bags here ... we aren't. To us, gains are just that, gaining size. Gains to women are losing weight. It's not written to be offensive. I think it is just pointing out that a lot of GUYS don't train hard, diet hard, and live in a way that will allow them to succeed from a physical standpoint.