5am Work Out

Options
I'm struggling to get my butt moving in the morning before work. Does anyone have any am routines or work outs they get you pumped?

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Workout myself at 5 most mornings. I HATE mornings, always a struggle. Once I get started, I am good to go, but rolling out of bed is rough. I'll admit, I frequently have a pre-workout on my nightstand, and chug it as soon as the alarm goes off.
  • blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Me too get up 5 a.m. have a pre workout and get my butt moving. My one thing is i have to get up i have 2 kids 13 years old and 3 yrs old so i gotta get going before they wake up. I wokout in our home gym but if they are up forget it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Clothes and gym stuff out/packed the night before - so I'm less liable to wake my wife.
    Alarm clock.
    Coffee.
    Gym - moving iron.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    When I was working out at 5am I needed to get to bed earlier, that was the key for me to successfully wake up and get my workout in. I also generally lifted in the morning. I tried cardio a couple times and hated every second of it.

I set out my clothes for the morning, went to sleep earlier, set a back up alarm just in case and that was that. You need to want to do it and to plan for it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Workout myself at 5 most mornings. I HATE mornings, always a struggle. Once I get started, I am good to go, but rolling out of bed is rough. I'll admit, I frequently have a pre-workout on my nightstand, and chug it as soon as the alarm goes off.

I do this too! Slam a bit of caffeine, hit "snooze", then by the time the alarm goes off again I'm ready to roll out of bed. I have to get up at 4am during the school semester to have time to work out and get back home before my husband leaves for work (so our son doesn't get left alone in the house). It became a habit, and now having that kind of alone time to myself is something I look forward to.

I also sleep in my gym clothes, so getting out the door entails nothing more than putting on socks and shoes and grabbing my gym bag. The less I have to think about, the better I can just auto-pilot myself to the gym before I can talk myself out of it.
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Any songs that get you pumped? I know it's cheesy but Gonna Fly Now (rocky theme), Eye of the Tiger (real cheesy) and some other stuff (Club Can't Handle Me Right Now - Flo Rida)... and even stuff like Float On (Modest Mouse)
    Some light cardio before lifting can loosen you up.
    Sometimes I find the first set the worst because your body's still waking up.
    Make sure you are getting enough sleep too!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I'm in bed by 9 and at the gym at 5am C4 pre workout helps
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm not pumped for jack *kitten* at 5 AM.
  • the_big_johnson
    the_big_johnson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm in bed by 9 and at the gym at 5am C4 pre workout helps

That. You stalking me bro?

Also helps to have a chip on your shoulder. Set a goal to motivate you, and then every time you wake up, it's one step closer to that goal.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    5 am? If anyone ever sees me at a gym at 5 am, I've been drugged. Please call the police.

I don't know how you people do it. Wayyyyy more dedication than I do.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

This. I just have to make it out the bed. I also have my preworkout ready to go as soon as I wake up. But I slowly drink it...bad things happen when I chug preworkout :'(
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I am normally up between 4:30 and 4:45am to workout. I just have to dress and go to my basement, as I have a home gym that I do all my workouts in....
    I feel energized once I am done, but admit that it is hard sometimes to drag myself out of bed that early...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I wake up between 4:00 and 4:15 in the morning, down some preworkout and a Quest bar, lift for 1.5 hours in my garage gym, then cook and eat my post-workout protein pancakes before getting ready for work. Monday through Friday, without fail.

I've never considered myself a morning person and there was a time before I got into fitness that I could easily sleep until 11 or 12, but I can honestly say it's simply a habit at this point to get up that early. You just have to want it bad enough and make it happen. It's not even an option for me not to get up because I don't give myself that option. When that alarm clock goes off, my butt is out of the bed and into my workout clothes.

The preworkout (I use Cellucor C4) and eating the Quest bar helps wake me up, and a 5-minute warm up before I start lifting really gets the blood flowing and I'm officially awake and ready to kill my lifting session at that point.

TL;DR - justdoit_zps7f14e39d.gif
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Alarm gets me up at 4;45 a.m. I have 15 second window to get out of my room before my urge to go back to bed breaks me. I always post here when I start. Maybe if you all want, we can keep each other from going back to bed in spirit by posting that we are up and fighting the good fight. If this interests you, feel free to friend me.
  • mindyaf83
    mindyaf83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wake up between 4:00 and 4:15 in the morning, down some preworkout and a Quest bar, lift for 1.5 hours in my garage gym, then cook and eat my post-workout protein pancakes before getting ready for work. Monday through Friday, without fail.

I've never considered myself a morning person and there was a time before I got into fitness that I could easily sleep until 11 or 12, but I can honestly say it's simply a habit at this point to get up that early. You just have to want it bad enough and make it happen. It's not even an option for me not to get up because I don't give myself that option. When that alarm clock goes off, my butt is out of the bed and into my workout clothes.

The preworkout (I use Cellucor C4) and eating the Quest bar helps wake me up, and a 5-minute warm up before I start lifting really gets the blood flowing and I'm officially awake and ready to kill my lifting session at that point.

TL;DR - justdoit_zps7f14e39d.gif

• mindyaf83
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I used to get up no problem. Now my husband wants me to sleep in with him & I risk waking up the baby. But screw it I gotta do this for me! So I'll change my alarm to a song that I love, try pre-workout drinks, and just do it! Now that so many mentioned the prework drinks & quest bars what are your favs?
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I wish my gym was open at 5 am -- I would be doing StrongLifts 5x5 some days and cardio the others -- that would allow me enough time to workout in a relatively empty gym and get to work on time -- my gym opens at 5:30 which is a little too late for early workouts.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Go to bed early. I have to be in bed, with the TV off by 9:30p to get up and meet the ladies for a 5a run.
  • mindyaf83
    Options
    The gym I used to go to was a 24hr. Its just hard to go to one with 3 kids though. So I work out at home. I'm considering joining again and working out on lunch though.