Weigh in question/help! Ladies only

Options
So as women we have that lovely time of the month filled with cramps, bloating, and water rentention -_- yes the great period. So my question is do you log your weigh ins during that week? I like to log everyday or so just to see natural fluctuations based on what I eat and see the overall downward trend despite some spikes. This keeps me motivated but I know that doesn't work for all. However, my period makes huge spikes even if I am keeping in my calorie count and eating pretty well with a few extra bits of chocolate here and there lol seeing it on my chart just depresses me! What do you do?

Replies

• scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but take 5 days off that part of the month:)
  • lian27chime
    lian27chime Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I log my weigh ins everyday too for same reason as you. My period does affect my weight loss for that week but not much. What I do is, I think of the coming week that I'll do better when my period is gone.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If it depresses you, then don't do it.
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I agree, just don't weigh yourself during that time. If it makes you unhappy, don't torture yourself. Why bother to weigh yourself and see a number that you know isn't completely accurate because you are so bloated and heavy from water weight!?

Good luck! :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but only log when I lose.
  • RaeB1013
    RaeB1013 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Monday morning and still count it, even during lady days :blush:
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I track it based on my cycle. I official count my weight about 8 days after the start of my cycle because its typically my lowest day each month and the best indicator of progress. The rest of the days is just data...
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me because I know what's causing it and that it will go away in due time.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily.

Even without that cause, my weight has significant fluctuations. If that is an additional factor, I just say, "Oh - that's a factor. No wonder I have been cranky and hungry. This will sort itself out in about 10 days."

I find that not stressing over meeting my body's cravings (seriously, I get some days where I feel like, "Give me MEAT or I will *cut* you!!" or "I will have the chocolate and the carbs NOW!!!") actually gives me power to manage some of them. And if I go over the goal - not a limit - a few days, what do my macros look like? What does my weekly average look like? It takes 3500 excess calories to make a pound; I didn't eat 10,500 *extra* calories beyond the recommended number, and the recommended number is calculated for weight loss, so I would have needed at least 12,000 calories instead of 10,500. Math wins.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit Aria scale, so it logs automatically. I actually think it's probably good for motivation, because seeing the pattern makes me less likely to feel discouraged when it starts happening again each month like clockwork.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I weigh myself every Tuesday. Let's just say that I didn't weigh myself this Tuesday...I didn't want to feel discouraged.

But my clothes were fitting looser so I got cocky and weighed myself today and wish I hadn't. Oh well...
  • RachaelWinston
    RachaelWinston Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input y'all! I'm glad I'm not alone in this!
  • ani_terzyan
    ani_terzyan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily and look forward to the magical whoosh! I always go up like crazy around TOM but lose about 3 lbs right after...it really is magical :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I try not to weigh myself when I'm ovulating, right before, during, or directly after my period. Basically there's only a week long window when I can get an accurate reading haha.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel bad, certainly don't do it. There's really no reason to weigh in more than once a week unless you're super curious about your own trends or just like to keep meticulous records (I fall into this category).

Personally, I love to weigh myself before, during, and after my period. Reason being, I usually gain a little before, but experience the "woosh" that's so commonly referred to here once the water weight disappears. The water weight usually keeps the scale higher than it should look, even though I'm still losing fat, so once it goes away, I can appreciate my loss as one larger number instead of small increments.

Often (though not always) it's the time of the month when I experience the most loss. It almost is enough to make me look forward to my period... which is really saying something.
  • Gena_Beana
    Gena_Beana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I swear I jump up anywhere from 3 to 4 pounds during Aunt Flo's monthly visit. I just keep weighing, it doesn't really throw me for a loop too much like it used to. I don't, however, log anything unless I've LOST weight LOL.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I log my weight once a week - but on period week, if its a lot higher, I skip logging that week. I weigh myself daily, but only log it on Fridays.
  • cnekniher
    cnekniher Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My cycle never seems to follow the exact same numerical length, it varies month by month. So following a chart on when it's comin is hard for me. Anyone have any tell tale signs their body sends out saying it's coming? I only get PMS symptoms once it actually arives.
  • shivasgirl
    shivasgirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    cnekniher, have you tried www.cyclespage.com? It tracks for you and sends an email reminder to expect Aunt Flo within the next 4 days. I didnt think I was regular until I started using this, turns out I dont go every 28 days, but more like every 32 so it seemed off if I didnt have a period say in February...