To Eat up Your Workout Calories or NOT to?

Options
Ok, I don't eat up the calories I burn off during my exercise classes and workouts. However I am receiving contradicting information from A LOT of people. :huh:

I'd like to see what my MFP friends have to say on this. :bigsmile:

I'm taking in 1200 calories a day ... and I usually burn off about 700 calories or more a day ... but I do not eat back my those calories. Is that healthy? Unhealthy?

Thoughts? Ideas? Concerns?

I know I read that my body is automatically burning calories to begin with so anything I do is considered extra ... so I'm already burning MORE out than what I'm putting IN. Is this in itself correct?

Again, thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks everyone in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I burn a large amount of calories everyday from exercise but I only consume around a minimum of 1,200 calories. I don't know if that's okay to do but I'm never starving.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i always eat my exercise calories. MFP already sets you at a deficit when they give you your recommended calories to eat per day. that's why when you exercise you have more calories remaining to eat. if you don't eat them your net calorie intake per day is about 500 calories. NOT GOOD!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    eat back some of them. what i do is for example if i burn off more than 200 then i try and have a net of 1000 instead of 1200
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Using your own numbers is you are eating 1200 calories and burning an extra 700 that means you are in essence only eating 500 calories a day. Do you think that is healthy?

I did not initially agree with the eating of ones exercise calories, but unless you are obese, not doing so will hinder your weight loss and result in a lot of muscle loss instead of primarily fat loss.

I don't know how much you have to lose, but generally 2 pounds per week unless you are obese, is too high of a goal. 1 pound per week is generally much more tolerable to your body.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    You can change the calories when you enter your exercise. I do 60 minutes of cardio and change the calories to "one" because I don't eat mine back either. You'll get blasted by those who say you should. I don't. I think it should be a personal choice. The argument is that the program already reduces your calories so you will lose. That, in my situation, is simply not true. But that's just my opinion.

Best of luck on your journey to health and happiness.
  • xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
  • shelbert13
    shelbert13 Posts: 9
    Options
    Great question. My friend and I were just discussing this. We think it's unhealthy since basically you are trying to run your body on only 500 calories a day. I can't wait to see what others think.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It is not recommended to go below 1200 per day. Therefore if you eat 1200 and burn 700 you are well below the 1200 min.

You can see how this works for you, try eating some of them back or all of them and then adjust to find what works for you.

Most people do not do well under the 1200 but we are all different.

Best of Luck and Keep us Posted!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're already burning more than you're consuming just from living. So after a while, doing what you're doing could cause problems. It's not going to happen in a week, but over time it could cause you to feel fatigued, and possibly even slow your weight loss.

I would advise you to eat back at least some of those calories. I say "some" because unless you're using a heart rate monitor, you may not be burning as much as you think you are. A lot of people who say it doesn't work when they eat their exercise calories are not using a HRM, and so it's my opinion that they're actually eating too much. If MFP says they're burning 500, but they're actually only burning 300, that's a lot of extra calories they shouldn't have been eating, and that would of course cause problems with weight loss. I typically don't eat all of my exercise calories, because I don't have a HRM, and I've had a lot of success. I feel good, I'm losing weight, and I'm doing it in a healthy way. Also of note, I haven't hit a plateau at all, and I think it's because I do eat those exercise calories, as well as going over cals every now and then. Keeps my metabolism guessing.
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    I have to say I am just as confused as you are about this. I have read that some people believe whole heartedly that eating back the calories is essential, and other's don't eat back the calories and still achieve their goals.

I, personally, do not eat back my calories... I can say I did that for a bit a while ago when I heard of it, and my scale just crept up and up I am going to assume that it was because I was consuming more food than my body is used to. So i have dropped back to not eating back my calories burned, and I have results again...

I probably wasn't much help, But thats my take on it! LOL I know there are a ton of links on this particular topic, and I have read them, but I just can not come to terms with eating THAT many calories in a day....

On the other hand, if you are eating 1200 cal's a day, and burning 700 cals off, then you are leaving your self with 500cal per day, which can lead to starvation mode which can lead to a stall... so you may want to think of it like that... maybe add in an extra protien shake, another small meal, or something to keep your calories at a reasonable amount.

Good Luck
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The 1200 is the minimum NET calories MFP thinks you should eat to lose weight. That 1200 calories already accounts for you eating less than what you naturally burn without a workout. So if you don't work out, you should still lose if you stick with the 1200. With that said, if you're then burning 700 calories, your body is not getting enough fuel at 500 net calories a day. Though your weight loss might be sped up at first, eventually your body will start eating away at your muscle for that fuel it needs.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Mommyof3loves Posts: 276
    Options
    From what I have read you should eat back a decent amount of what you get back...at least keep it at eating 1200 for the day that's what I have been doing even if I burn 586 I can't seem to find stuff to eat to get to my total calorie count which has been around 1500 with the 1200 plus what I burn off but I definitely make sure to have eaten at least 1200 if not a little bit more if I can.
  • ToniZ60
    ToniZ60 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get 450 calories a day from my cardio workout which allows me 1670 for the day but ii only use about 1400-1500 those days
    I stay at the 1220 if I dont go to the gym that day.
  • risque_07
    risque_07 Posts: 16
    Options
    WOW! Thank you all for the replies! I'm going to look into those sites and gain some very much needed knowledge! As you can see I'm new to this "getting healthy / fit" kinda thing! So I appreciate everyones input in pointing me in the right direction!!! Much luv and let's keep it moving down that scale!!! :heart: :wink: