Forget the Finish Line...I'm focused on the next step!

Options
cammons
cammons Posts: 126 Member
Hello All! A few months ago I downloaded the MFP app on my iPod but never really got very far in exploring and only just made it to the website...there is so much here!

I have been struggling the last few years with some pretty extreme allergies that stopped my running and exercise habits virtually in mid--stride and managed to gain nearly 40 pounds since then. I have been working hard at clawing my way back to my old lifestyle; I still run...just less frequently and much slower but I'm working on improving both as my allergy shots continue to help with the breathing.

Last week I won 15 free sessions with a personal trainer at my gym, and I'm going three times a week for the next month. Strength training is something that I never paid much attention to but I know that it is a critical part of a well rounded, fit lifestyle.

My next few steps include building a good habit of strength training and stepping up my daily activity. I just attached a basket to my bicycle so that I can bike in to work when the weather permits and this morning I got out the calendars and put together a training plan for running a fall marathon.

In general, I look at life as though it is a race. Everyone starts with the goal of finishing, some of us have specific time goals while others just hope to finish, a smaller group are just along for the ride. No matter how long the race is it is important to remember that the actual finish line is only a few inches wide, often we cross it in less than one stride when it took many thousands of steps to get there....seems like an awful lot of fuss over a painted line when the real celebration should be on those thousands of steps that came first, and the millions of steps to come.

Kristi in Kent, OH

Replies

• MisterBeerBelly
    Options
    A few years ago the Titans went to the Super Bowl. I remember hearing an interview with their coach.

He said, his goal was to go to and win the Super Bowl. But his team was mediocre: 8-8 the last three seasons.

He knew that if he said we are going to the Super Bowl this year everyone would have said, yeah right, I'll have what you are smoking.

So he would give them simple goals. Like lets have a good practice. Let's just win this weekend, we can win one game can't we?

Soon enough they were in the Super Bowl (where they lost by about 3 feet for one of the best games ever).
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I agree with you that it is more about the steps you take than the actual finish line.

My motto is "slow and steady finishes the race" :wink:
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever ran 20 miles with my training group I got stuck in a strange loop chanting, " Slow and steady stays on pace. Slow and steady wins the race." Those two sentences always pop into my head when I'm having a tough run...and they fit so well with my running cadence.