Just curious

Options
hey mfp fam, i was just wondering if anyone has lost weight with just eating 1200 cals a day, and how much weight have they lost. Please share.:D

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 eating between 1200 and 1400 (I eat back some when I exercise. Since 1200 is about the lowest you want to go, I only hit 1200 on rest days). Not sure if that counts for your question, though.
  • Nikki542687
    Nikki542687 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Last summer I lost roughly 40lbs from May until August by keeping my calorie intake to about 1200 a day (I was drinking heavily, on a almost daily basis, and probably could have lost a lot more). I gained it all back after starting the fall semester.... and here I am trying to lose all of that and some once again. BUT this time with exercise.
  • nicolaferris420
    nicolaferris420 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost 17lbs in 2-3 months on 1200 cals per day. I've just had knee surgery so that was with no exercise. You need to be strict, honesty is the key.
  • nicnacks24
    nicnacks24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 for an extended period of time will back fire once you begin to eat "normally" again. Your body goes into starvation mode and becomes accustomed to eating so little a day, thus you stop losing weight. Your body will burn your muscle when you eat so little and hold on to the fat because it feels you are starving it. The body really sees no need for muscle which is why it is burned first in low deficits. If you only have 30 lbs to lose you should try losing it slowly and in a more sustainable way. Quick fixes rarely work and often lead a person to gain all the weight back and then some.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    92 pounds lost and the first 50 was indeed on when eating 1200 calories a day (supervised btw). Now on 1300 calories.

But you lose weight on eating more too.
    Try always to eat as much as possible and lose weight ;)

And another thing the less you have to loss the longer it takes and the slower it goes. So be patient too.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    nicnacks24 wrote: »
    Eating 1200 for an extended period of time will back fire once you begin to eat "normally" again. Your body goes into starvation mode and becomes accustomed to eating so little a day, thus you stop losing weight. Your body will burn your muscle when you eat so little and hold on to the fat because it feels you are starving it. The body really sees no need for muscle which is why it is burned first in low deficits. If you only have 30 lbs to lose you should try losing it slowly and in a more sustainable way. Quick fixes rarely work and often lead a person to gain all the weight back and then some.

wrong starvation mode is a myth

We wouldn't have skinny to the bone people, dying of hunger when they hold on to their fat isn't it?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Starvation mode does not exist. There are many people who do fine eating 1200 a day (mostly older, shorter, more sedentary women).

OP, everyone is different, but you may find 1200 is too low for you. Try it for a month, log accurately, eat your exercise calories back, and then see how you feel and how you're losing. I eat anywhere from 1600 to 2200 calories a day to lose.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yep, but I use 1500 and don't eat back exercise calories. My net ends up between 1000-1200/day depending on my workouts. I can pack ALOT of food though into that 1500 calories so I'm definatly not starving ;)
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1200/day and I've lost 11lbs since May 1st.
    Another 10ish to go
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Question: Did you pick the calorie level first, or did you simply choose the "Loose 2x/wk and sedentary" from MFPs setup wizard? You're probably approaching it backward.

If you only have 30 lbs to lose, go through the setup wizard and select 1 lb or 1.5 lb /wk, and see what level of calories it gives you.

Also, the activity level you select affects the calories MFP sets for you, but if you select "workout 3x/wk" and you don't have that level of activity you will be eating more than your activity burns.

You can do it at 1200 cal/day, but it requires a lot of adjustments to get nutrient dense foods that fill you up and still fit in the calories given.
  • Bqueen1995
    Bqueen1995 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I''ve got 70 lbs to lose in total, for now my goal is just to lose 30 in 2-3months, so i'll be eating 1200 calories everyday and then after increase my calorie intake to lose the rest weight slowly.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

You can do it at 1200 cal/day, but it requires a lot of adjustments to get nutrient dense foods that fill you up and still fit in the calories given.

True point.

I used to be at 1200 religiously, even when working out 2 or more hours a day. I started losing hair and my nails were very easily breakable, largely because I wasn't getting the nutrition I needed. I upped it to account for the workouts, and also toned down my workouts a bit (that amount of exercise wasn't a sustainable plan for me), so now I'm balancing the CICO equation in a much healthier way.
  • Ladybird1103
    Ladybird1103 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been losing 2 pounds a week consistently by eating 1,200 a day. I've lost 16 pounds so far with 33 to go. I'm considering eating a little more becuase i'm always hungry (I don't eat back exercise calories)
  • Bqueen1995
    Options
    Oh wow, and that's good that you've found a healthier way. Goodluck (y)
  • Bqueen1995
    Options
    Even i dont eat my exercise calories back, but some people say we should. It's really confusing.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm stalled at 27 pounds, I don't know whether to let MFP decide my calories for me or try to stay where I am at on calories. So confusing!
  • Bqueen1995
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Question: Did you pick the calorie level first, or did you simply choose the "Loose 2x/wk and sedentary" from MFPs setup wizard? You're probably approaching it backward.

If you only have 30 lbs to lose, go through the setup wizard and select 1 lb or 1.5 lb /wk, and see what level of calories it gives you.

Also, the activity level you select affects the calories MFP sets for you, but if you select "workout 3x/wk" and you don't have that level of activity you will be eating more than your activity burns.

Yes i understand what you're saying, and mfp recommended me to eat 1200 calories per day based on my activity level and i selected lose 2#/week
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Even i dont eat my exercise calories back, but some people say we should. It's really confusing.

Reasons to eat your exercise calories:
    -to bring your deficit back to where it should be
    -to fuel your body (especially when you're set to 1200)
    -more food!
  • Bqueen1995
    Options
    Yes,it makes sense now
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

I smell a troll . . .