lower back pain

Options
BethVN
BethVN Posts: 5 Member
I've been exercising fairly consistently since Oct '10 and am experiencing some pretty significant back pain on my lower right side. Walking and doing the elliptical feel great when I use them first thing in the morning but by noon I've got pain again. Any tips for good exercises for back pain AND things to avoid? Thanks!

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    i would check out a chiropractor for an alignment.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    STRETCH! It really does wonders for my back.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    be careful until you feel better. you don't want to injure yourself even more. i would ice your back after you exercise, just to keep the swelling down. goodluck and if it gets worse, see a doc. :flowerforyou:
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree that stretching is one of the best things you can do. it sounds like you are probably tighter on the one side than the other, which is true of all people. Yoga is going to feel fantastic for you. :) Also make sure you're not sitting funny in your normal life....if you work at a desk or spend time on the couch. Make sure you are sitting straight and not with your legs/feet tucked up to one side.
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    STRETCH! It really does wonders for my back.

Yes, stretch!!! I have lower back pain as well and the only thing that helps is stretching (medication doesn't work!). Some good stretches that work for me are
    cat and cow pose
    child's pose
    flat on your back, knees bent to one side, arms to the other side
    flat on your back, knees bent and pulled into your chest (arms wrapped around legs)
    pigeon pose - stretching your hip flexors will also help with your lower back
    .... there are many others, try googling back / hip stretches.
  • BethVN
    BethVN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks for the excellent feedback! I am going to a chiro already but have reduced how much I go for insurance purposes. It does help but once a month isn't making a huge difference. I will definitely try the stretches!