Why do some people at the gym always look the same?

Options
12346»

Replies

• DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    My fears that people are in fact noticing me in the gym have been confirmed.

People don't notice you in everyday life?

Obviously yes. You hear a lot " Oh don't stress about being overweight or looking silly at the gym. Don't let the fear of judgmental people keep you from going. Most of the time people are too wrapped up in themselves and their work out. No one is noticing you!" That is what I was referring to.

So you are going to let other people keep you from wanting to better yourself in the gym through exercising? People will be aware of there surrounding. So of course people would see the same person coming in and see what they do.

I don't get that insecurity people have. I don't understand it. Maybe it because I view exercising differently and if you notice my profile pics. it is fours years apart of gaining than losing. I never stopped working out. Never. Even when I was really big and I don't even want to know how much my body fat% was. I never let people at those gym keep me from coming back.

To me there is a difference between noticing your surroundings and noticing them enough to make a post about the people in the gym with their lack of "success". It's good that you were able to do it without insecurity. Kudos.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess no progressive overload. If you can't push yourself to make PRs regularly, you won't look any different especially if you've been training a while.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Not all people go to the gym to lose weight.
  • weightofgold
    weightofgold Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am that person...I am well aware of CICO but honestly is not that committed to losing weight. (I probably should be but just dont have the motivation yet..that's another story.) I go to gym because I want to be healthy. I love being able to run 5k's. I can walk 10 miles without a sweat and I am over weight. Going to gym has to do with stress release and a lot more. I have been a regular in gym for most of my life. I cannot imagine a life without gym (and prolly will involve getting high blood pressure, diabetis etc). Not everyone dreams of being skinny but a lot of us want to be able to climb 10 floors without being winded.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

Obviously yes. You hear a lot " Oh don't stress about being overweight or looking silly at the gym. Don't let the fear of judgmental people keep you from going. Most of the time people are too wrapped up in themselves and their work out. No one is noticing you!" That is what I was referring to.

So you are going to let other people keep you from wanting to better yourself in the gym through exercising? People will be aware of there surrounding. So of course people would see the same person coming in and see what they do.

I don't get that insecurity people have. I don't understand it. Maybe it because I view exercising differently and if you notice my profile pics. it is fours years apart of gaining than losing. I never stopped working out. Never. Even when I was really big and I don't even want to know how much my body fat% was. I never let people at those gym keep me from coming back.

To me there is a difference between noticing your surroundings and noticing them enough to make a post about the people in the gym with their lack of "success". It's good that you were able to do it without insecurity. Kudos.

I don't think the guy was trying to judge others so much as he was trying to brag about his own accomplishments. He was literally judging people he hadn't actually seen in like a year on how he perceived their gains (or lack thereof). Unless he has some super memory, I wouldn't put much stock into it.
  • weightofgold
    weightofgold Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add

Gym = getting stronger, fitter
    CICO = Loosing weight looking leaner

Not everyone does gym for the results of CICO..... It really does feel awesome working out and I have not looked at CICO in a long while. This post makes me wonder what others are thinking about me..maybe feeling sorry for me?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I don't think the guy was trying to judge others so much as he was trying to brag about his own accomplishments. He was literally judging people he hadn't actually seen in like a year on how he perceived their gains (or lack thereof). Unless he has some super memory, I wouldn't put much stock into it.

I'll admit that I did not get that feeling at all. I mainly think the OP was witnessing the oft stated quote, "You can't outrun a bad diet."

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    So did anyone else feel as though OP was talking about "overweight people not getting lean"?

You can even see it in peoples answers. "They have poor diets." Or "they can't outrun/workout their diets."

Why? I know people who are "in shape" looking, but it still doesn't look like they improve any year to year. They're still lifting the same weight, still the same size, etc.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Most people don't diet. It's simple. And, some people I know eat more when they go to the gym because "they went to the gym". LOL. I don't know. I've come to the conclusion that we all have different goals and different reasons for going to a gym. For some, it's social. They aren't trying to be healthy at all.

I believe this is the case for the resident gym bro at my workplace. I have interacted with him 4 days a week in the weight room for the past year and have noticed almost no change in physique and no change in work load. Please know, he looks great, decent body fat% larger than average muscles and most likely a lady killer. I once asked him what he uses to track his intake and he just laughed and said he eats "clean" and doesn't want to obsess about calories. He also tells me he would never do deadlifts because of how bad they are for the back and is impressed at my DL (270lb lol). Also does 1/4 squats.

Point of my rambling...with his seemingly great work ethic, and possibly superior genetics, he could be a monster. To each their own.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I assumed OP was talk about physical appearance because he said LOOK THE SAME.

*shrug*

PS I've looked the same for a while now. Do I want to look better? Yes.

BUT I would look a hell of a lot WORSE if I wasn't doing something.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I assumed OP was talk about physical appearance because he said LOOK THE SAME.

*shrug*
    same
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OK, so nobody can get injured or have other priorities that cause them to have setbacks? Nobody can lose their job and not be able to afford a membership for a while? Nobody might have to focus more on, say, caring for a terminally ill loved one, at the expense of a more superficial goal? My goals are not at all aesthetic, but that's already been covered. Even when I'm happy about where I am in progressing to my goals, I try to remember what one physical therapist told me when I was feeling bad about my (lack of) ability, "They don't have what you have." And vice versa is true also.

Eyes on your own workout.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    It's odd that I had the opposite problem--calorie restriction without exercising that meant very slow progress and me subsequently giving up and gaining it all back. People have funny ideas about fitness, I suppose.

I don't go to the gym, but strength training has helped tremendously this time.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Without clarification from OP as to what he actually meant (more information) all we are doing is arguing about assumptions of what he may or may not have meant. The interweb never ceases to amaze me. People just love to argue.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Why? I know people who are "in shape" looking, but it still doesn't look like they improve any year to year. They're still lifting the same weight, still the same size, etc.

Yep, this is me. I lift to a PR, then I get hurt and back down the weights, then I work my way up. I decide to work on form, deload, and work my way back up. I once had a 145 bench press. Now I've been pressing around 95-105 for probably a year. I'm not lifting so I can PR, or compete, or anything. I lift because I like it and strong muscles mean that I can climb mountains and bike and play with my kid for hours.

I basically look exactly like I did a year ago, which is exactly how I looked two years ago, which is 130 pounds less than I weighed four years ago (almost to the day, actually).

I'm not training for anything. I may not not be "progressing" but I am enjoying my workouts. My body isn't perfect, but I'm fine with how it is and I am putting my energy into maintaining. I don't want to lose 20 pounds: I'm content, I like the amount I can eat, I enjoy my workouts, I like my clothes. And what's most important is that I'm not returning to my former 300-pound body.

So I guess I'm one of those "in shape" looking people who doesn't improve any year to year. If you saw me a year ago, I'm probably lifting the same. I'm still the same size.

And I am 100% okay with that. It's kinda my goal.

Tl;dr: not everyone is in the gym for the same reason.

• the_big_johnson
    the_big_johnson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just a bit of perspective. When Arnold was growing up, he was embarrassed about his lack of calves. His first photos all had the calves hidden or cut out. So he walked around in clothes that showed his calves so that his shame and embarrassment would cause him to work harder for that goal. I'm not trying to guilt trip or shame anyone. But for the guys here, maybe you need some motivation like that. Sometimes you can take weaknesses and use them as a great motivator.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    This thread's still going?

Haven't we established that the OP doesn't have enough data to make his determination. And also hasn't clarified what his determination actually is.

Let it die, says I.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    $*** diet.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    andympanda wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Why do you care?

Maybe to learn from other people's mistakes.

so seeing someone of an hour or so a day is going to allow you to know there mistakes the other 23 hours in the day…really?

The ones they make at the gym, yes.