Vegan trying to go low carbon.....help?

Options
Hi, any vegans out there?
I have 10lbs to lose and I am trying to go low carb but struggling with how to do it. Would appreciate any help please.
Thank you!

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That's a tough ask.

There are ways to lower your carb intake as a vegan by relying primarily on tofu as your source of protein and eliminating starchy vegetable intake, but you have to ask yourself if this is sustainable for you. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to place an unnecessary restriction upon yourself. You're already eating a restricted diet. I'd also advise you that unless you're eating a vegan diet for ethical reasons? That's unnecessary too.

The main thing when losing weight is calorie control. If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

Enter your stats into the web site, Select an option to lose half a pound a week. You'll get an appropriate amount of calories to eat. Get a food scale. Start weighing all solid foods and measuring all liquids. You'll lose weight.

To keep the weight off? Find out how many calories you need to eat to sustain your new weight, and try to keep your intake around that new weight. Switching back and forth between low carbing for weight loss and then back to how you used to eat will only result in you regaining weight unless you count your calories. Why change the foods you eat in the first place?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Carbon is coal. It's pretty clear you are talking carbohydrates. It can be confusing because we abbreviate it to "carbs" all the time.

Low carb means high fat, high protein. It's tough to find high protein vegetarian foods to begin with. There's tofu, avocado, edamame, tempeh, nuts.

Not a vegan here, but I am a foodie.

I like mamapeach's advice to simply find your calorie number and shoot for that.
  • CleanBEAN1
    CleanBEAN1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is definitely more difficult to go low carb on a vegan diet, but you could always try eating more vegetables instead of fruits, low carb plant proteins (like hemp and pea), mushrooms, almonds, nut butters, seeds, avocados, seitan, tofu, lower carb beans (like soybeans and fava). I find substituting vegetables in recipes helps; squash or zuchinni in place of spaghetti, cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes or rice,...etc. Just keep in mind, some of these foods are very caloric, so weighing everything out is mandatory
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha. I thought you were like, trying to reduce greenhouse gas pollution or something. :p my bad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @CleanBEAN1, if you are suggesting some vegetables are a little lower in carbs than others, your suggestions may make sense. But lots of the vegetables you mention are mostly carbs. I picked peas as an example.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2520/2

73% carb.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lots of seeds, nuts, avocados, etc...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Oh wow. I don't know about that. I'm a vegetarian who does lower carb and I lean hardcover on eggs, cheese and whey protein to get me through.

I guess you could eat tofu and tempeh all the time, but gosh...I would be miserable.

QFT. I'm also a vegetarian. I moderate my carbs, and I'm a little bit higher than you on my intake. Max out on around 115-120 or so (not net) on bean eating days.

I couldn't do it.

• asbjrc427
    asbjrc427 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For a period of time, I ate a low carb vegan diet. But for me, "low carb" meant no highly processed carbs. Things like pop tarts and rice were off the menu, but I still ate a lot of carrots and beans. I ate beans all the flippin time. If I didn't, I felt too sluggish and moody. My body wants carbs, but I can make them as healthy as I possibly can.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some vegans make / buy Seitan as it is low carb and a good source of protein that is made from wheat gluten.
    Once hundred grams of Seitan: Calories 370 / Carbs 14 / Protein 75 (seventy-five grams of protein).

But I don't eat it because I avoid gluten.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Quorn products are low carb and vegan made with mushroom protein.