Need advice!

Options
Is it ok to have a cheat day one day a week as long as you don't go to crazy?

Replies

• jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you have a weekly "Cheat" day during the weight loss phase of your plan, how are you going to manage your weight once you achieve your goals?

The habits that helped us gain our weight in the first place will return us to this same place unless broken. It is much easier to change those habits now while you are focusing on weight loss than later when you are trying to maintain that healthy weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. Some do cheat days, but log everything to ensure they're either in their weekly deficit or within maintenance. Some do a cheat meal only. Others (where I fall) do neither and work foods into their calories.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

It depends.
  • skwytt
    skwytt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think they everyone who commented already answered your question. =) try it once then assess
  • sweatingfortheweddingMM15
    Options
    I think I will have to do a cheat meal once a week or else I would just go crazy and end up eating everything lol
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

As long as it's with me I don't see a problem.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It will definitely slow down your weight loss. That can be frustrating if you don't see progress on the scale. I plan around holidays and vacations. I change my expectations about losing and enjoy the holiday. you'll see over time what works for you.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Cheat if you must it does help stay on wagon but try to stick to your macros still if possible.
  • paynea805
    paynea805 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a "cheat day" every single Sunday (my goal is 1200 calories and sometimes I have as many as 2000-2200 calories that day) and I have steadily lost weight for the past four months - totaling up to 27 pounds so far.
  • skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been saving up calories for the weekend so I can go out to dinner, have a few drinks, eat pancakes for breakfast, stuff like that. I'm not sure if that's considered "cheating" but it's helping me stay on track. MFP makes it easy to see your weekly average so you can stay within your calorie deficit for the week.
  • kvalhion
    kvalhion Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I probably could do a cheat meal once a week, however I find that it just triggers me to want to eat more crappy foods and I mentally berate myself for eating things that will set me back. It's easier for me to set a specific goal - like a 30 day strict challenge - and try to attain that before any kind of cheat meals. YMMV!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cheat days can derail a week of progress if you go too overboard. If you've banked a 1,500 deficit over the week and eat 2,000 that one day over your daily goal, your deficit is gone. I plan treats and stuff I want into my days, rather than pick one day to have them. Keeps me sane.
  • sweatingfortheweddingMM15
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys!! :)