alternative oils..........

Options
sbwood888
sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
What kind of oil do you use? I have always just used vegetable oil or more recently olive oil. I am seeing lots of posts about coconut oil. Do you use it? Why? Does it have a taste? I read one post that said the person gagged at the taste of coconut oil. Thoughts? Are there other alternative types of oils?

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm a strictly olive oil kind of person. I love the taste that it gives foods.
  • funayman
    funayman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Avocado oil. Good for your heart and a high smoke point :D
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Refined coconut oil has no taste.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    grapeseed oil, coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil. I use the evoo on foods I am cooking with or toss into a salad. my wife uses Coconut oil in baking. not sure what she uses with the grapeseed oil

I have heard great things about coconut oil - but need some time to read more about it.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil and coconut oil. You can get extra virgin coconut oil - single press - which I haven't tried yet. You can also get a more refined version that has a very neutral flavor. I put it in my meat dishes when I have to go with lean meat (I'm primal so 60% of my diet comes from fats). You can't taste anything. Most oils have been refined (heated). Olive and coconut are usually cold-pressed - even the refined version.

It does AMAZING things for your skin. I have never found a lotion that will take away the scaly dryness on my legs. I tried some coconut oil and the dryness is completely gone and days after using it the skin on my legs is still soft as can be.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If I do not use olive oil I use grapeseed oil. I have not tried coconut oil.
  • jmo28
    jmo28 Posts: 3
    Options
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    What kind of oil do you use? I have always just used vegetable oil or more recently olive oil. I am seeing lots of posts about coconut oil. Do you use it? Why? Does it have a taste? I read one post that said the person gagged at the taste of coconut oil. Thoughts? Are there other alternative types of oils?

Vegetable oils derived from soy, as well as from corn, safflower and canola are not good for you because they become oxidized/rancid when subjected to heat. You would be better off with butter, olive oil or coconut oil.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Those of you who use coconut oil regularly:

Do you have any particular brands you could recommend looking for?
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    I love Almond oil for salads with a touch of salt and pepper yummmy!!!! and no soybean oil (which is basically in every salad dressing out there) and we now cook with Avacado oil.... and we do keep some EVOO on hand :) havent tried coconut oil - how ever I am in love now with coconut milk and coconut milk creamers (low fat, low calorie, and nothing added) yummy!!!