A question for the ladies (not being sexist but i dont think

Options
linscave
linscave Posts: 59 Member
Hi Guys
Just wondering does anyone struggle to exercise whilst TOM is in residence?
I went out for my normal run today and found I was really struggling to maintain pace/distance. I got a stitch twice and my calves were burning after 20 minutes! TOM arrived today!

Is this a well known phenomenon or is it just me?

Replies

• casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    On the first day or two of my tom I feel really fatigued. I dont' have a solution for it, I just do my exercise but not push as hard as normally.
  • sittingduck180
    Options
    Yeah - I believe it's actually a dip in hormones (so there's something behind that dip in energy/motivation).
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mine wipes me right out!!

I am exhausted for a good day or two or three sometimes and I have severe back problems that are always at their worst during this week so I just trudge through!!!
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Totally! i am exhausted and starving all the time when that guy's in town....that makes it sound a bit saucy doesn't it! couldn't be less so!!
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I feel so lethargic when it's my TOM...I believe it's due to the amount of blood we're losing. I try to pount back the water on these days and be sure to take my Vitamin B supplement! :)
  • abryant136
    abryant136 Posts: 3
    Options
    I run quite a bit (25-30 miles a week) and the week before my period my knees usually give me trouble. I suspect they get get slightly inflamed and swollen, since I retain water elsewhere that week. I hate it, since I need the mood boost more that week, but I have learned to give my knees a bit of a break that week, and then my runs the following week feel amazing by comparison - suddenly all is back to normal.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    The only thing that hinders my exercise during this precious and beautiful time in a woman's cycle is the fact that I am bleeding from my vagina and afraid of leakage. Other than that, and cramps on day 1, I don't suffer.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I exercise during TOM all the time. I often supplement with iron and B12 for the energy depletion.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was just told by my trainer to exercise only lightly on the first few days of my TOM because it's hard on the body. I'd never heard that before, but after she brought it up, I realized that I usually struggle those days with my workouts.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I do have trouble with fatigue, but I find that if I push through it, I usually feel better afterward.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get really fatigued the first couple of days
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    It may be more of a function of the associated bloating/water rentention than your period itself. But at the end of the day, the best thing you can do is just listen to your body.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Only started bothering me the last year or so, but yes, completely wipes me out....ZERO energy! I take supplements, but still struggle to get through even everyday tasks, let alone a workout!
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    i can relate....having a lil TOM myself today. us girls gotta stick together!
  • ritarampage
    ritarampage Posts: 32
    Options
    I tend to be extremely energetic in the days leading up and for the first two days, and then I have a huge energy crash that lasts until about a day after it ends. Such an annoyance.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes same here! Rachel Cosgrove explains it in her book "The Female Body Breakthrough" it does have something to do with hormones and water retention and she actually sets her work outs up around TOM making the first couple days light days.
  • bethmiller3377
    bethmiller3377 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    YUP! me too! I tried jogging, etc, but I feel like I just can hardly move sometimes...UGH...I also eat like a PIG that week before...and I crave sweets and carbs...go figure. I workout anyway, but it's def. not my "best" workouts...LOL
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It's more tiring, but you can get used to it in time.
  • atachauer
    atachauer Posts: 28
    Options
    @Heather75...your comment actually made me laugh out loud!
  • linscave
    linscave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys! Nice to know it's not just me!

This is what i love about this site. Ask a question and someone is always able to jump in your boat and make you feel less alone in the journey to good health and fitness!:flowerforyou: