How do you stay motivated?

Options
I know there's probably been loads of these threads before, but I was just wondering, what keeps everyone motivated? I'm new to this site and having trouble sticking to my healthy eating/exercise plan, I know if I stick to it I'll look better and feel better etc etc, but I just need some kind of kick up the *kitten* to stay on track!

Edit: And I just realised this is in the wrong forum, sorry!

Replies

• SiobhanF2773
    Options
    I find a healthy competition with friends helps.... and a goal reward of a mini vacation :)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I feel motivated when I go on a run and realize I couldn't go as far as I just did two weeks ago :)
  • Tjarvi
    Tjarvi Posts: 53
    Options
    I think the mirror and other fitness testimonies are what motivates me.
  • letsgetserious
    letsgetserious Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    yeah i get that.....

I went for a major looong bike ride yeserday... Went for 11km and I felt AMAZing after
    and felt good that I could do that WANTING to do more...
  • katiejneely
    katiejneely Posts: 52
    Options
    Skinny pictures of myself! I keep one in my purse at all times!! Also, I made my profile pic one of me in my wedding dress, because that is the size I would like to be in again. :-)
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The mirror lol. And my boyfriend. He goes to the gym 6 days a week and constantly changes his routine...and he has the body to prove it! So...I dont want him to have a pudgy girlfriend! LOL.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Success breeds success for me. Seeing my weight loss and improvements in my fitness keeps me motivated to keep it up. I set reasonable short term goals with little rewards that keep me working. When I feel the need for more motivation, I look at the success stories here on MFP and see the amazing results that others have realized.
  • fitboricua
    fitboricua Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Think about your long term goal and deine short term goal that will get you there. SO instead of thinking: "I need to loose 40 pounbds" think about the little changes you will make this week that will get you there. Also look for people that are in the same journey as you are. I am part of the Beachbody community...I'm also a Coach so I will recommend to join us and you will find a lot of people going through the same struggles as you are but with their support you will achieve a lot.

If you want to join (FREE) send me an email cynthia.coreano@gmail.com and I will send you a link so you can JOIN. I will be assigned as your FREE Coach so I can help you keep up your motivation.

PS: Beachbody is the company that created P90X, Turbo Jam, Insnaity and others. I also strongly recommend this programs.
  • DESIREE1210
    DESIREE1210 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just feel so much better as I'm losing, it's motivation in itself for me.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Most deff the mirror and approching single diget BF :)
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    *Standing naked in front of a mirror.... I hate to look, its depressing... so I want to change that so I want to look and be happy

*Healthy competition w/ a friend (okay, its one sided... she has no idea I'm trying to compete w/ her) to weigh less than she does

*Getting close to weighing less than my fiance

*Looking at my fiance's father... he is so overweight and has TONS of health problems (3-4 heart attacks in the last 3 years, and he just turned 50 2 weeks ago).. I don't want to end up like that. Then on the flip side my fiance's grandfather who is a clean eater and walks everyday is in great shape, and pretty damn good health for someone who is 78! I want to end up like this!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I know there's probably been loads of these threads before, but I was just wondering, what keeps everyone motivated? I'm new to this site and having trouble sticking to my healthy eating/exercise plan, I know if I stick to it I'll look better and feel better etc etc, but I just need some kind of kick up the *kitten* to stay on track!

Edit: And I just realised this is in the wrong forum, sorry!

guilt is my biggest motivator. we all make a lifestyle choice for a reason that can only be good. the trick is to make diet and exercising into something enjoyable rather than to treat it as something awful and tedious. lots of people set short term, mid term and long term time frames to lose x,y and z amount of weight, but as long as you are sensible..it's never the wrong time to do the right thing. the people in this MFP community are all without exception incredibly friendly and very supportive...be true to yourself and keep an eye on the bigger prize..a fitter,healthier and even better looking YOU :-)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be fat. Honestly, that is what keeps me going.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Right now I am not motivated. I have not lost any weight for over a month. I am just having a really hard time sticking to the plan. I try to keep myself motivated by logging on to MFP and reading / replying to posts. Maybe someday soon I will get back my mojo. :indifferent:
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Listening to music really pushes me to workout longer and more often.
  • tizzy22
    tizzy22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try to remember that you're in charge of how you achieve your goals, and so try not to give into things around you that might make you loose focus. I agree with Bluefox - guilt is a huge motivator for me as well and diet and exercise should be enjoyable. I actually find using MFP as a reward at the end of my workout/healthy day and that's been great as well. And always, always remember to get back on track. Everyone has a bad day every now and then and that's an important part of getting to your goal - just remember to get back on track as quickly as you can :)
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Trying on my wedding dress, it fits but it will fit even better in 10lbs!

Also I just found 12 pairs of capri's that are one size to small so my goal for now is to fit into them!

I'm not thinking about the 70lbs I have to lose in total I'm thinking about the 10 or 15 that will get me into that dress and those pants!
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is my improvement. But everytime I hit a plataue, I normally starts something new. For example, when I first started in July I worked out and followed my diet for the first 60days with insanity. Once I saw the results I stop. Then two months later I wanted to lose more weight so I did it again for another 60days. Once I started to lose motivation I started P90X, when I lost motivation I went back to Insanity. Now, I'm currently going to the gym and working out with a Personal Trainer, and getting remotivated again. But really what helps me stay motivated is my improvement of all the hard work I've been doing.
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what motivates me as I just started on this journey. I hate looking the way I do and would love to feel better.. I guess if I could look in the mirror and see something I like, that might be a great motivation. Also, if I could put on a fitted dress and not see ripples and curls... THAT would be motivation in itself!!