Does Anybody Know What This Is?

Options
I cannot put a title on this without it being like a sentence, so I have to describe it. When I exercise and start to get overheated and to the point of sweating (wearing spandex/tight clothes in particular) I get this tingling, itchiness that is extremely uncomfortable and almost painful. Tuesday night I was doing strength exercises at home, got warm and that sensation started. It's really awful. I know there must be a name for whatever this is.

Last year, I took a long walk on a very warm day and was wearing rather tight jeans. Halfway home, that feeling started and I just about died because I couldn't tear my clothes off and scratch and it got worse because I couldn't cool down. I've tried googling the feelings and it comes back with some disease, which is ridiculous because as soon as I cool down, it goes away. It must be something common. I can't be the only who feels this.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'd see a dermatologist.

Honestly, it could be a reaction to your laundry detergent.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Sweat makes me itchy.. But not like that.

Don't wear tight clothes?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any supplements with NIACIN in them?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RoseMarie157
    RoseMarie157 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It be called "flushing". I had it when I was a certain medication. Horrible feeling!
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it could be a reaction to your laundry detergent.
    Hi, Lishie, I don't think so, because it's been going on with any kind of detergent and even when I just run a wash with water only.

Don't wear tight clothes?
    Yes, no more spandex or walking in the heat with tight jeans!

ninerbuff wrote: »
    Are you taking any supplements with NIACIN in them?
    Hi, niner, nope no niacin - that is an awful feeling, very much like this.

It be called "flushing". I had it when I was a certain medication. Horrible feeling!
    Hi, RoseMarie, it IS a horrible, horrible feeling. It kept me from even wanting to work out for a long time. I will look into flushing.

Thank you all so very, very much!
  • minkky
    minkky Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Heat rash?
  • succotashswashbuckler
    Options
    My first guess would be some kind of histamine reaction.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    What kind of supplements are you taking? There other names for niacin (B3, nicotinic acid) so you want to check that as well. For some people Beta-alanine can cause a flushing as well. Usually just a minor tingle but some people are sensitive to it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    typically when i see this it's a circulation issue that goes away as you become more fit, cardio wise. you didn't say what areas it affects you, but when i encounter it it's usually the legs, especially the lower legs.

as a backup, you can always try switching detergents and as a safeguard you can schedule a visit with your GP.

wait. i just checked the OP's age. definitely talk to your GP. always consult with your GP before beginning a rigorous exercise routine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    My first guess would be some kind of histamine reaction.
    This would have been my next assumption.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any prescribed medications? (Not for us to know, just to discuss with GP)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sounds like something called cholinergic urticaria - basically allergic to exercise. B)
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1049978-clinical

Do you take aspirin? That can make it worse.
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    typically when i see this it's a circulation issue that goes away as you become more fit, cardio wise. you didn't say what areas it affects you, but when i encounter it it's usually the legs, especially the lower legs.

Hi, DavPul, the areas that are affected are my rear end, back and lower legs - all in the back, nothing on the front side of me is affected. Shhhhh about my age!
  • Indigoblu1
    edited June 2015
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    What kind of supplements are you taking? There other names for niacin (B3, nicotinic acid) so you want to check that as well. For some people Beta-alanine can cause a flushing as well. Usually just a minor tingle but some people are sensitive to it.

Hi, Shor, I take three Super B Complex daily. But even when I wasn't I had this happen. I need to see if it happens with loose clothing - the other night, I did a pretty good hard hour long workout in loose non-spandexy clothes, and I don't recall it happening. I will have to test it again.
  • Indigoblu1
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Sounds like something called cholinergic urticaria - basically allergic to exercise.
    Do you take aspirin? That can make it worse.
    Holy crap, Cherimoose! That sounds just like it, only mine ends as soon as I get cooled off. So, when it happens, if I'm in a place to pull off the clothes and stand by a fan or in AC for a few minutes, it goes away immediately. The areas are red like a rash, but there are no welts, etc. at all.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Indigoblu1 wrote: »
    the areas that are affected are my rear end, back and lower legs - all in the back, nothing on the front side of me is affected.

That's a pretty unusual pattern. Where's Dr. House when you need him. B) Mention it to your doctor next time you're there. If you can choose doctors, i'd see an internist, as they tend to be better at diagnosing uncommon conditions.

Have you tried an antihistamine?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, and have no idea what is causing this ...but as soon as i read it, it instantly reminded me of a talk i had with a coworker. He would go to the gym before work each morning and he noticed that he would develop a red itchy rash every time he worked out. I said, are you allergic to something at the gym?? He said no, it happens at home too!!
    So anyway he described many of the feelings that you also described. Hes 65yrs old and has no known allergies. Hes actually in the process of speaking to his doctor about this so i will update this post as soon as he gets a diagnosis to see if that might help you out alao.
    But in the mean time i would definitely see a doctor about it for sure
  • skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How often do you exercise? I ask because I also get terrible itchiness, sort of like you've described it, when I run for the first time after a long break. It also totally disappears when I cool down. The next time it's a bit better, and by my third or fourth running session, I don't have it anymore.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    No input except to say sorry! :(
  • marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Indigoblu1 wrote: »
    I cannot put a title on this without it being like a sentence, so I have to describe it. When I exercise and start to get overheated and to the point of sweating (wearing spandex/tight clothes in particular) I get this tingling, itchiness that is extremely uncomfortable and almost painful. Tuesday night I was doing strength exercises at home, got warm and that sensation started. It's really awful. I know there must be a name for whatever this is.

Last year, I took a long walk on a very warm day and was wearing rather tight jeans. Halfway home, that feeling started and I just about died because I couldn't tear my clothes off and scratch and it got worse because I couldn't cool down. I've tried googling the feelings and it comes back with some disease, which is ridiculous because as soon as I cool down, it goes away. It must be something common. I can't be the only who feels this.

It sounds like chafing. A lot of people get it. Its embarrassing and frustrating but harmless! It happens when clothes rub against the skin. You can look it up to make sure.