Discouraged

Options
I'm only on day 4 of my lifestyle changes and I'm feeling discouraged already:( what can I do to stay motivated

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What, in particular, is discouraging you? Can you be specific?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a sustainable goal and are doing things you enjoy.

If you're feeling miserable or down about something in your diet or exercise, stop doing it. You don't have to be miserable or depressed or what have you.

Make sure your calorie goal isn't too low for you and do exercises (sports/whatever) that you truly love doing.
  • rcaccavale
    rcaccavale Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I guess it's because I have failed a lot and I don't want to this time
  • igotmywish1508
    igotmywish1508 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The first week is the hardest. It takes 3 weeks to make a habit. Try pintrest for healthy meal idwas.. I made pizza crust out of culli flower one time.. 250 calories for the whole pizza... I do food prep with fruit salad.. chicken breast and avacado/veggie flax seed wraps.. enjoy what your eating!
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    rcaccavale wrote: »

Just remember that every day is a new day. You can start making changes and instead of worrying about failure, try to really see your day-to-day sucesses.

Struggling with the fear of failure is something I really really relate to. Its best not to put off what youre trying to do and just do it.
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Understand completely. Things can be very difficult, and there are ups and downs. I've gained and lost weight, and I can certainly feel it when I get on my bike. Hills that were no problem two years ago are very challenging again.

Almost every answer I could give boils down to some kind of cliche. How about, "You haven't failed as long as you get up one more time than you fall down"? I kind of like that one.

And, you know, it's true. Changing habits is not always very easy. The best I can suggest is get people who are supportive. Preferably, some in real life, but certainly a good network of online people can count. People who will cheer you on when things are going well, and hopefully will check in on you when you disappear.

But, as Minmoink noted, every day you get to try again. Not every day is going to be a winner. At the four-day mark, it's probably not very pleasant -- it's really easy to focus on the foods that you're NOT eating and exercise is probably pretty miserable rather than fun a lot of the time. It's unfortunate that the early steps have to be so difficult so early, but it really is worth it, in my opinion.

Best of luck!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Pick a reasonable goal, and don't make crazy changes to your diet because you think you have to cut this or cut that to succeed. It's BS. All you need to do is lower your calorie intake to lose weight!

Make sure you are logging accurately - make sure you have the right calorie info and please use a food scale for 100% accuracy. Drink enough water to keep your body from retaining water weight.

Exercise if you want to. Do something you like - go for a walk, ride a bike, workout video etc. Just be very careful with how much you "credit" yourself with burned calories! (I only take 50% or even less of what MFP says).

And above all, hang in there, don't be mean to yourself, and if you slip up, then just pick yourself right back up and keep going. Don't listen to those voices that lie to you and tell you that you won't succeed. You can, and you will...if you really want to. <3
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Change is hard. You feel like everything is against your desire to change so it's easy to give up. Hang in there. My experience is that a support group is essential to help you reach your first goal. Feel free to add me for extra support.
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    what are your changes? what are your specific goals and what are you attempting to change specifically?
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Why not try habit change goals at first instead of weight-loss goals? Then you can use your new habits to lose the weight and are less likely to fail.
  • Denisefit4life
    Denisefit4life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hang in there it's a long process to be healthy & at an ideal weight. Add as many friends as you can to your friends list the support is amazing. I also agree don't cut out the things you enjoy eating just eat smaller portions & less calories. Add me if you want. Take care. Denise
  • browme02
    browme02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think just acknowledging your feelings are legitimate is a great place to start! So you feel discouraged. Allow yourself to feel it, and to own it honestly. Then remind yourself that your past does not exclusively dictate your future. So you've fallen down. We all have. You are getting back up though, which means you are someone who overcomes. Give yourself permission to learn your own strength. It's in there !!
  • SisypheanWorkout
    SisypheanWorkout Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Let that be your motivation. I was in the same boat. It took me 3 attempts over more than a year just to log my calories every day, but I do NOT want to fail again and won't.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Then I would urge you to learn about how to lose weight and understand the process fully before you start.

You will succeed if you prepare properly and are able to deliver consistent deficits. Part of that is going in with the right mental atitude, that you can and will succeed. Theres no need for you to fail. Uoill have a lot more confidence if you know what you are doing.
  • Cindymop
    Cindymop Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First of all, your doing right by joining MFP! This is one of the best sites out there. Second, by adding this post. This is a great way to help you get motivated, reading others comments and sharing what has helped them succeed has always been motivating to me. Coming back to this "Community" whenever you feel like "cheating" or skipping a workout, is a great way to get motivated and to your goal! Remember a few small steps can lead up to a big life style change. Also my tip to jump start your success is to give up sugary drinks - sodas and juice. You will be amazed at the weight that will just fall off. Also if you hit a plateau drink more water for a day maybe two. It has always helped me to get to the level.

You can do this! And it will be well worth it for you in the future.

Add me as a friend and we can get to our goals together.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Please understand that this is a marathon and not a sprint. Just keep working it. There will be good days and there will be bad days, but the only real failure here is in not trying.