Sooo, soooo hard

amathist
amathist Posts: 24 Member
well hi there, it's Saturday morning where I am and I am looking at my coffee ( I am a coffee addict) wondering how many calories it contains. Sigh, unfortunately this is how I see food and beverage, not as nutrient but as calories, and to be honest it makes me incredibly depressed. Always feel like I am substituting one thing for another. I am an on again of again user of this site and hoping to stick with it this time. I was always over weight as a teen but then in my early 20s I managed to get down to and stay at a wonderful 58kg with a small 5'2 frame, life was wonderfull. Then I had children *sigh. For the past 5 years no matter what I do, the weight just piles on and on and on. Now I am +30kg and feeling horrible. I have tried everything I can think of. But... I am a boredom, binge,and emotional eater. Trying very hard to break these cycles. I suffer from PCOS and thyroid issues. Needing motivators and like minded people. This time I will do it!,,

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Have you tried just eating in a deficit? That is what will help you lose weight!

You have to want it - your "why" for losing weight needs to be stronger than the reason you turn to food for stress/emotions etc. Find another destressor - exercise is actually a great one! Go for a walk, join a gym, dance, find something you enjoy that gets you moving.

Start one day at a time. Pre planning and preparing food helped me stop mindlessly eating or emotionally eating. I knew I had X meals and they'd be eaten at X time. Structure made me have something to stick to....
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    If you're ready to do it, you'll succeed. If it's all too much, how about baby-steps? I have very little willpower.
    I've found that making new habits is how I'm going to succeed.
    Do I like the fact that I'll always have to be aware of calories in/calories out? No. But what I know for fact is that I LOVE how I feel now that I've lost a significant amount.
    Like today; National Doughnut Day. It seemed that every other picture on my Facebook today was of yummy doughnuts. To me, they are kryptonite. I simply lose control and will binge if I have them. So I remind myself that the taste and satisfaction of eating a dozen yummy doughnuts isn't 1/10th as satisfying as how good I feel now.
    It's all about choices.
    How about move a little bit more and eat a little bit less. When you're ready there won't be anything to stop you. :)
  • amathist
    amathist Posts: 24 Member
    Thanks girls, I work 7 days a week most weeks and for 8 hours a day I solely live on caffeine, it's when I come home and have nothing to do ( kids are fed and in bed, everything is done for the day) this is when I find myself seeking food. I KNoW I'm not hungry but I find myself standing in front of the cupboard. I also know I should eat breakfast but it dose not make me feel to good to be eating that early in the morning, and after my kids are ready I only have time for my morning coffee. Did I mention I am also an insomniac this is where my caffeine addiction started :(
    I'm really trying this time, I've realised my motivation comes with seeing that scale go down!!!
  • superkat2013
    superkat2013 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm not a morning eater either. But i find that on my first break I may start to feel a bit hungry so I either have a banana or a grapefruit cup. This way it's a little something on my stomach so I'm not starving or over eating later.

I've restarted the weight loss journey about a month go. And I've found that it's a lot of fighting with one's self! I attend a lose it for life class and one thing I've learned and it has helped me. When I find myself craving food or attempting to mindlessly eat. . Ask urself if ur hungry enough to eat an *apple* or some food u wouldn't usually grab for.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    You don't need to eat breakfast, but it sounds like your hunger signals are pretty messed up. I would still suggest planning meals and eating times. Eat even if you aren't hungry. Make most of your choices nutritious ones.

You'll likely find that you'll get more normal hunger signals. Eating nutrient dense foods may make you feel better, have more energy etc.

I'd also work on the sleep issue. Sleep has a big impact on health and weightloss!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    You don't need to eat breakfast, but it sounds like your hunger signals are pretty messed up. I would still suggest planning meals and eating times. Eat even if you aren't hungry. Make most of your choices nutritious ones.

You'll likely find that you'll get more normal hunger signals. Eating nutrient dense foods may make you feel better, have more energy etc.

I'd also work on the sleep issue. Sleep has a big impact on health and weightloss!