sweat stinging my face

Options
Hi everyone,
First time poster so be kind :-)
I joined last year and was doing great, finishing a session at the gym felt great- sweaty and worn out.
I got lazy and did the minimum required, basically turning up to my 2 appointed training classes.
I have really got back into it in the last 2 weeks or so but 1 thing is getting to me.
I have sensitive skin but now the sweat makes my skin sting and i will have a red face all day.
No bother about the red face but i can only last for 20 minutes before i give in and have to wash my face and reapply moisturiser.
Fine if i have the time but if i have to get to work/ appointment it eats into my time.
Is there any product i can use?
Currently using e45 and palmers cocoa butter formula.
The time is 10.30 and i left the gym at 7 but my face still stings :-(

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    That is not normal, rather talk to a doctor or dermatologist if your skin is that sensitive....
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have very sensitive skin and use cetaphil cream, it's in a pretty large jar that lasts a REALLY long time. It's fragrance free and a nice thick cream. I use this on my face all day long, but I also have a small fan at my desk that helps the redness in my face go away faster.
    Hope that helps - and welcome!!
  • gravityisalie
    gravityisalie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for both responses . I have had a look and will try the cream first. If no success i will look into consulting with a proffesional.
    I just checked through my food diary and realised i am eating way too much salt. I add it to most foods. Maybe cutting down might also help
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Are you sure you're not allergic to something? My face stings like h*ll when I'm around pollen or plastic. I'm allergic to the preservative that is in plastic and also to the toxins with which some are made. The sweat basically "captures" the stuff you can't see and freaking lets it absorb into my skin. Flonase helps me a bunch as do some topical allergy products, but I've found I have to completely avoid some areas with plastics since I have no desire for a return hospital trip.

Second thing that does it for me is sun. I'm in Florida, if it's really sunny and I'm sweating, it aggravates unless I use a sunscreen, even when I'm only out a short time. Kind of weird since I can spend all day at the beach with little to no issue.

And finally, as you observed above, if I'm consuming high quantities of sodium my sweat will sting my eyes (not my skin so much). I have to remove my contacts because they make the stinging worse.

Best of luck!
    leslisa
  • Jeningp
    Jeningp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have sensitive & allergic skin, like Amanda I recommend trying cetaphil products both cleanser & lotion. Also be careful of what products you've got in your hair when you're sweating and have sensitive skin.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Are you using a towel or something to wipe your face? I've forgotten my towel before and used a paper towel and my face stung all day.
  • gravityisalie
    gravityisalie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow , great feedback!

I have many allergies ; pollen , dust , areosols ...
    I take over the counter allergy tablets but they do not really help much.

The pollen count is very high in ireland right now so that could be a factor when mixed with sweat.

Also ,I did not have the same problem today, the hair gel i have been using recently is different to my normal product and i did not use the new gel today as i left it in my gym bag in the car.

I use tissue paper. The brand has definitely changed. Its thicker. Could be the chemicals in that.since I cannot always wash my towel between classes (going nearly ever day now) figured it was more hygenic to use paper and throw away.

I will be doing a process of elimination and also watching the salt :-)